Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vladimir Putin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So WTF is up with this guy. After all the terroist attacks in Russia (and getting worse) lately makes Me wonder if He's gonna kick some ass. Or is He gonna be a puss and let it keep going on. At this point I think He looks pretty weak.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Who knows.....................

I read it myself and well, the Russian psyche is weird. I kind of got the impression from the article that maybe they realize just WTF is going on. I also kind of got the impression that maybe he wants a return to the old ways in dealing with these sheep fawkers, it's just a matter of doing it the right way................

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, hes a black belt and former KGB chief... IMO if he could get away with it politically / internationally he'd go in and carry out a little anti-muslim genocide. Reading the description of what went on inside that school is unbelievable, even in a post 9-11 world. These muslim extremists are the most evil, biggest POS ever to walk the earth IMO. You know they're evil when they can make the Nazis look "not so bad". /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My wife walked in the other night and asked me what would happen if he nuked chechnya. My heart practically stopped beating for a minute cause I thought she heard he was going to do that on the news... Turns out she just thought he should do that...

I don't know much about the history of this chechan problem, but it seems like a small percntage of the population are rebels and have been in a perpetual war since 1994 seeking independence, and Russia won't give it to them (Yeltsin and Putin after him).
    What little I've read, I can't see many options Putin has. He already has troops occupying checknya, he seems to control the government there, the people of checknya are fine being part of the Russian Federation. If he caves to the rebel's demands he's
    A) vaporizing Russia's "no terrorist negotiations" policy
    B) placing Checknya in worse upheaval than before
    C) creating a huge security risk on his border (the rebels are supposedly trained and partially financed by al-quada)

Checknya's an oil-producing state also. Income-wise, they shouldn't give up checknya. Can't say economially, cause who knows how much it's costing them in terrorism cleanup.

If Putin does nothing and continues to let Russia get attacked, he's not really protecting his people. But, he can't ignore the problem, and he's already got troops occupying the country. What can he do next? Maybe force Checknya into a police state controlled by Russia, but then he loses *all* support of the chechan people.

I watched something on a discovery-type channel the other night about the history of terrorism. A group of terrorists killed a british official (I think), his wife, and his kids in some british controlled state. The british responded by putting entire suspect villages into prison camps until they found who actually did it.
    I couldn't see Putin doing that, although Ckecknya is just a little over 1 million people. It probablywouldn't even benefit him unless he was 100% sure the rebels were all from and in Checknya (I heard some reports that 11 of the school terrorists were arab men, 1 was a black man).

I don't have any ideas on how he can solve this without declaring his own War on Terror, but he can't just shake his head and hope for the best, either.

I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about with this, though. I just started reading a little about this because of the school siege. Probably not enough information for me to have a real valid opinion on it.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

The commie a$$hat now is threatening Western Europe with nuke missiles.

6. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Itchy finger and a hair trigger. Bad combo. If you have ever seen what really happens to s#!t when it hits the fan, you'll know why they use that phrase for a situation like this.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe that undersea highway from Russia to Alaska isn't such a good idea.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thats because he is reacting to President Bush who is in negotiations with Poland and Czechoslovakia for a Patriot Missile shield defense system. Not that I blame them for wanting one.
    Putin seems to be trying real hard to take Russia back to the cold war days. I am sure he would like to rebuild the Warsaw Pact and take over Poland and the rest of eastern Europe.
    President Bush has had some harsh words for Putin lately:thumb:

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Intelligence Briefing on Putin, Vladimir Vladimirovich

General Data

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin is his full name he was born in 1952 in Leningrad. His mother was a factory worker and his father was a conscript in the soviet navy submarine forces. His father was also NKVD which was a sabotage group in WWII.

His paternal grandfather, Spiridon Putin, had been Lenin's and Stalin's personal cook. Putin graduated from Leningrad University in International Law in 1975 and was imeadiatly recruited into the KGB. While he was attending the University it is the time he joined the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. He remained a member until the ban on it was imposed in August 1991

He was stationed in the Leningrad and Leningrad region Directorate of KGB. In 1976 he completed KGB retraining courses. In 1978 he entered other retraining courses in foreign intelligence in Moscow. After completing the training he served in the First Department of the Leningrad Directorate (foreign intelligence) until 1983. In 1983-1984 he attended KGB High School in Moscow at which time Putin was appointed the rank of Major (1984).

Putin was stationed at Dresden, East Germany KGB station 1985 to 1990. Putin has stated he regarded this to be a minor position. Following the collapse of the East German regime, Putin was recalled to the Soviet Union and returned to Leningrad,

In June 1990 he assumed a position with the International Affairs section of Leningrad State University, reporting to Vice-Rector Yuriy Molchanoy. At his new position, Putin became reacquainted with Anatoly Sobchak (1937-2000), then Mayor of Leningrad. Sobchak served as an Assistant Professor during Putin's university years and was one of Putin's lecturers.

Putin formally resigned from the state security services on 20 August 1991, during the KGB-supported abortive coup against Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev. It is belived that he did this because he belived the coup would fail. The coup members included KGB chairman Vladimir Kryuchkov, Internal Affairs Minister Boris Pugo, Defense Minister Dmitriy Yazov, and Prime Minister Valentin Pavlov, divided loyalties in the defense and security establishments prevented the armed forces from mobilizing effectively and crushing the resistance.

In May 1990 Putin was appointed Mayor's adviser for international affairs. On 28 June 1991, he was appointed head of the Committee for external Relations of the St. Petersburg Mayor's Office, with responsibility for promoting international relations and foreign investments. Less than one year after taking control of the committee, Putin was investigated by a commission of the city legislative council. The Committee concluded that Putin understated prices and issued licenses permitting the export of non-ferrous metals valued at a total of $93 million in exchange for food aid from abroad that never came to the city. Putin remained Head of the Committee for External Relations until 1996.

From 1994 to 1997 Putin was appointed to additional positions in the St. Petersburg political arena. In March 1994 he became First Deputy Head of the Administration of the city of Saint Petersburg.

On 25 July 1998 Yeltsin appointed Vladimir Putin Head of the FSB (one of the successor agencies to the KGB), the position Putin occupied until August 1999. He became a permanent member of the Security Council of the Russian Federation on 1 October 1998 and its Head on 29 March 1999.

Personal Data

On 28 July 1983 Putin married Lyudmila Shkrebneva (now Putina), at that time an undergraduate student of the Spanish branch of the Philology Department of the Leningrad State University and a former airline stewardess, who had been born in Kaliningrad (formerly Konigsberg) on 6 January 1958. They have two daughters, Maria Putina (born 1985) and Yekaterina )Katya) Putin (born 1986). The daughters attended the German School in Moscow (Deutsche Schule Moskau) until his appointment as prime minister.

Since 1992, Putin had owned a dacha of about 7 thousand square meters in Solovyovka, Priozersky district of the Leningrad region, which is located on the eastern shore of the Komsomol'skoye lake on the Karelin Isthum near St. Petersburg. His neighbours there are Vladimir Yakunin, Andrei Fursenko, Sergey Fursenko, Yuri Kovalchuk, Viktor Myachin, Vladimir Smirnov and Nikolay Shamalov. On 10 November 1996, together they instituted the co-operative society Ozero (the Lake) which united their properties.

Putin's father was "a model communist, genuinely believing in its ideals while trying to put them into practice in his own life". With this dedication he became secretary of the Party cell in his workshop and then after taking night classes joined the factory’s Party buro. Though his father was a "militant atheist", Putin's mother "was a devoted Orthodox believer". Though she kept no icons in the home, she attended church regularly (despite the government's persecution of the Russian Orthodox Church at the time). She ensured that Putin was secretly christened as a baby, and regularly took him to services. His father knew of her activities but turned a blind eye.

Putin himself is a practicing member of the Russian Orthodox Church. His religious awakening followed the serious car crash of his wife in 1993, and deepened by a life-threatening fire that burned down their dacha in August 1996. Right before an official visit to Israel his mother gave him his baptismal cross telling him to get it blessed he did as she said and then put the cross around his neck. he still wears it.

Putin speaks German with near-native fluency. His family used to speak German at home as well. He also speaks English.

Political

On 9 August 1999, Vladimir Putin was appointed one of three First Deputies Prime Minister, which enabled him later on this day to be appointed acting Prime Minister of the Government of the Russian Federation by President Boris Yeltsin. Yeltsin also announced that he wanted to see Putin as his successor. Later, that same day, Putin agreed to run for the presidency.

On 16 August 1999 the State Duma approved his appointment as Prime Minister with 233 votes in favour (vs. 84 against, 17 abstained), while a simple majority of 226 was required, making him Russia's fifth PM in less than eighteen months.

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Excellent point and absolutely correct!

Once a KGB, always a KGB.

11. Metrodps

I know my post was long but I wanted to give you all an insight to this "reformed KGB officer". He is still an agent of the old school!

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So you won't be taking him to dinner? :D

13. Metrodps

I will buy him nine grams of lead!

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

That was good.

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status