Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

voltage regulator help UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnieg, Mar 1, 2004.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

My volt gauge is all over the place. at startup, it somes right up to the red zone, and slowly comes back down. Whenever I rev it up or go from a stop, the gauge goes way up again and stays there. On decel, it starts spiking up to 18 volts /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand the lights and heater go berserk. I'm almost certain that it is the volt reg, but how easy is it to replace? Am I better off just getting a new alternator? I'm mechanically inclined, but what I don't have is time. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: voltage regulator help

The quickest solution is to stop in at Autozone and pony up for one of their Duralast Gold rebuilds. They have a lifetime warranty. If you want cheap, stop down at A1, the pick-n-pull yard and find a similar alternator there. They're only like $15, but may or may not work for long. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For more alternatives, check out www.alternatorparts.com

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: voltage regulator help

Rebuild kit for the alternators is about $15, and extremely easy to do if you are moderately equipped and intelligent. Comes with regulator, diode trio, brushes, and I *think* the front bearing, which is the one that takes all of the load.

Takes about an hour to do the first time I'd figure.

Always make sure that the alternator IS putting out more than it should though. Test it with a voltmeter. Always a good idea to rule out gauge error first.

4. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Re: voltage regulator help UPDATE

On Monday I tore the alternator apart and replaced the voltage regulator. Everything else in there looked alright and now the problem is resolved /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Volts according to the gauge sit around 14-15 under all conditions. Hopefully the truck will stay working for a while. It turns 90,000 and all hell broke loose.

5. dyeager535

Glad to hear it. People seem to be afraid to tear into the alternator, not tough at all, was it?

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if i was to tear into an alternator, can i increase the amps easily?

7. dyeager535

No as I understand it, you actually need to change the hard parts to do this, and AFAIK, that stuff isn't readily available. Probably jsut a better bet to find an alternator that is rated higher in your case.