Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec 454 Upgrades...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Aug 8, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah I would post in the 88 up section but yeah well theres no traffic... Anywho, getting ready to build a new engine for my truck. I bought a 2000 vortec 454 that I'm going to put in my truck for now while I rebuild the current 96 vortec 454 thats in it. I'm looking for basically just a cam upgrade, just some extra towing torque. I see them all over for vortec 350's and a non smog legal vortec 454 one but no smog legal vortec 454 cams... Any ideas? Has to pass cali smog /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I am just wondering... why don't you rebuild/mod the 2000 and just drop it in, rather than doing 2 motor swaps? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. willyswanter

Because the 2000 only has 22k miles on it and is perfect running order. I'm going to put it in my truck while I rebuild my engine then pull the 2000 back out and put it in my 69 camaro /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I feel your pain.

I went through the Vortec information gathering game awhile back, and there just isn't much out there. Don't know why, but I found almost nothing, even Vortec CPI swaps onto "older" engines isn't covered anywhere that I've found.

I'm *guessing* the system is so complex (relatively) and new (relatively) that it just hasn't been dealt with enough yet. The OBD2 probably has a lot to do with that...even the before/after cat O2 sensors probably make a difference on something as "benign" as a cam swap.

Of course most of thats speculation, but only because there seems to be *nothing* on the web about this. Your only hope might be the cam manufacturers themselves.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

hoooooly CRAP! You have a badass Chevy, and a '69 Camaro. On top of that, you are building a sweet ass Willys! How old are you? and what do you do for a living? Own a construction company or something? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. willyswanter

Uh, 21 as of about 8 days ago and yeah actually I do /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sorry I missed your birthday Jason, check ya later...

8. deus

deus Registered Member

Aww crap. I need to buy ya a beer. Happy Bday.

9. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, 21 as of about 8 days ago and yeah actually I do /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Um... spooky... that's what I plan on doing... wtf? I feel weird now. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif