Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec 454 ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 425 Xpedition, Oct 27, 2006.

1. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

Anybody played with the Vortec 454? Going to retire my TBI 454 and replace it with a Vortec 454 and looking for ways to get a little extra power out of it.

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The vortec 454 makes good power. In your TBI application, I would use the Edelbrock TBI manifold, and consider bumping the cam up a little, if you're willing to spend the money on a roller cam. 454ss.com has some good tech on BBC TBI performance. One problem you will encounter is that the vortec heads have no provision for EGR.

3. 425 Xpedition

Sorrry, I guess I should have put a little more info in the post. I am putting the complete Vortec 454/4L80 combo in my truck. I am using everything from the donor truck - motor, tranny, computer, harness and anything else I might need. I am considering a cam change already. Learned alot about TBI performance stuff from the 454ss site. Was just wondering if anybody had a proven combo that worked for the Vortec motor.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Cant speak for a combo for power on them, but be aware, the vortec 454's are the Gen V block. You can only use Gen V heads on them. A mark IV block can take Gen V heads, but not the other way around. Just something to be aware of if you go lookin to swap heads later on.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the vortec 454 that i have is a Gen 6 block. the Mark V were 90 to 95, the Gen 6 being 96-00. i thought the Mark V were preaty much all TBI. the Mark IV and Mark V are factory flat tappet blocks, the Gen 6 is a factory roller cam block.

ive heard the thing about only running Mark V blocks with Mark V heads, and the Mark V heads running on Mark IV blocks. i also heard the Gen 6 and Mark IV heads will interchange with no problems. still trying to find another sorce to back up the claim though.

id like to know what the vortec FI will handle as far as cam choices and compression changes. im building mine and am seriously considering running the vortec FI, but don't want to buy everything and it not end up working.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh your right, I think I was thinkin that the 454s were Gen V's till they died, and the VI were the 502's. Had a stupid moment lol.

7. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The fuel systems are good but the injectors are crap I have put 5 Brand New sets of GM injectors in my brothers truck. When the injectors go bad they are perfect when cold but once warmed up the injectors start to leak flooding your engine. We have had about 12 trucks through the shop in the last 3 years with this problem and all you can do in hope you get a good set of injectors. So far my brother has been very mad with GM and the first set of injectors cost him a motor because it washed the cylinders clean of oil and broke a ring scored the block making it unuseable. Change the cam you will not by sorry becuase the stock cam is tuned for emission not performance or towing. The cam that I finally put in my brothers truck that worked the best was the 502 HT roller cam it made all the difference in the way his truck ran. Sorry for the long post.

bigred81

8. 425 Xpedition

Have not heard about the injector problems. Hopefully I got a good set. They should be, the donor truck was a daily driver until it was wrecked.

I would think that the Vortec FI would a lot more tolerant to cam & compression changes since it is a mass air sytem instead of speed density like the TBI.

Comp cams makes quite a few different cams for the Vortec motor. Will most likely use one of there cams. Just about any cam has got to be better than stock.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the vortec uses both a MAF and a MAP sensor, i guess so its more efficient and for emisions standards.

i wish there was as much information out there for this as there is for the TBI/TPI setups.