Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec 5.3L-th350???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3car, Dec 24, 2001.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if the new vortec motors(5.3)use the same bellhousing as smallblock motors of old?starter and flywheel?

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I checked this out a while back. I could have gotten my hands on a 5.3 core motor from the dealership I worked at. Kinda wish I had grabbed it. I think the bellhousing was similar but am not sure. The biggest glitch I can see is that there are no intakes for a carb. and I dont think there was a provision for a dist. So you would have to run the WHOLE thing....eng, EFI, trans, case, rear axle ETC. to make the computer work. In time there will prob be someone that comes up w/ a way to do it Im sure.

As for a definate answer I cant help. Just a bunch of speculation.

They are a cool motor tho w/ a deep skirt block and cross bolted mains. 6 bolt! If I remember right.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have looked into this a little and was thinking of putting one in my 89. I think the bellhousing is the same pattern but not sure on the bolt pattern for the torque converter. The real hang up is nobody makes a stand alone computer for just the engine and that is probably going to be the best way to even consider a swap like this.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yeah,i wanted to run the factory computer but not the tranny,if i did run the tranny im not sure i could find a way to bolt up my t-case,and the t-case used on the new trucks has the front output on the fffford side!

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It should bolt up...the 350 and 700 have the same bolt pattern, and the 4L60 and the 700 have the same bolt pattern...so it should work...

90K5