Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec 7400 questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kraze, Jul 31, 2001.

1. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

I have the chance to get a 2000 Vortec 7400 BBC engine (brand new, but without the fuel injection) for about 2000 bucks. This price includes the water pump, oil pan, balancer, flexplate and a dual plane/spread bore intake.
    Basically the complete engine (+hydraulic roller cam!).
    AFAIK, this engine is based on the GEN VI big block. I live in Austria, so this would be an absolute bargain.
    I know that it is relatively easy to swap an old (Mk IV) BBC for my aging 350, but are there any differences (motor-mounts, tranny hookup, ...) with the GEN VI BBCs?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

What accessories are you going to run?? It is a real pain to get this stuff for a BBC here in the states. It's got to be a whole lot harder where you are. $2k for a new BBC is not a bad deal.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big block fanatic, so I don't pay much attation to them.

Off the top of my head;
    - Sounds like a screaming deal!
    - If you can't get the injection set up (upper/loewer maniflods, ecm, etc.) then check on card/tbi maniflods avalible for a Vortec big block. I'm kinda thinking the heads might be different on the B.B. vortecs, but I'm not sure.
    - I'm pretty sure Acc. bolt patterns are different (a.c., alt., p.s., ect.)
    - A standered trans should bolt up, and the flex plate should b o.k. too.

I'm not a big block guy, so I could be wrong. That list above is just somethings I would check out.

Twiztid

Edited;
    Check out a G.M. Performance Parts catalog. I'd bet it would have some good info in it on this.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 07/31/01 10:11 PM.</FONT></P>

4. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

Besides the alternator, I am going to run the P/S pump and A/C. Alternator is no big deal, the aftermarket offers the necessary brackets to mount it on a big block. I don´t know if I can reuse my old pulleys. P/S and A/C-brackets are another story - I have no idea if i can reuse my old brackets and pulleys.