Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec 8.1 with Alisson Tranny?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by laketex, Feb 16, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Anyone driven one? I'm thinking about test driving one with 15K on the ticker. It's an excellent deal, but I'm concerned with towing and mileage.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Brother in law has one, I've driven it- the 8.1 has a lot of power, and the ali is a GREAT tranny-
    however if your thinking of towing-- test drive the D/A combo- you will be suprised the power, that thing has! gas mileage isnt that great with the 8.1 - I believe he is getting 11-12 MPG, EMPTY, while we are averaging 19-21 with the D/A empty. thats a big difference if you put a lot of miles on it.
    like my father in law said after driving our D/A...
    "boy these things sure have come a long way" -regarding the diesel.

have fun driving it .. you wont want to get out of it.

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Milage will probably be less than 10, even on a good day.
    Towing is what it was built for.

Big truck, Big engine, Big trans, Big gears (11.5 ring).

The Allison trans is a goofy bugger. It holds the gear longer, and auto-down shifts, makes it feel odd.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

screw that then. I cant afford the duramax though. I may just go with a stripped down powerstroke.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

my sub with the 8.1 and 4L85e 4.10 gears get 17 to 19 unloaded. about 14 when towning the blazer

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

No kidding! Great! I've heard less than 10 is the norm (maybe the Allison is a gas hog, I wouldn't doubt it because it hold the gear and auto-down shifts). I also heard the milage doesn't change much even when towing. (8.1)

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 02/20/02 10:15 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Consider a Work-Truck type. They can be very affordible and have all the good-stuff, just none of the fluff.
    Also, with-out all the power-junk and cushie garbadge, it would be lighter and that should slightly increase performance and economy.
    - I'd consider it if I was in the market for a tow-rig.

Also, consider a 6.0L / 4L80E / and 14-bolt SEMI-floater (9.5 inch ring gear).
    I've driven a few of these combos and they feel pretty good. Gas milage should be about 3-5 MPG better than the 8.1L.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 02/20/02 10:25 PM.</FONT></P>

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

hmm I don't know of ANYONE getting less than 10--

just curious- what do you mean "holds the gear and auto down shifts?"""

you lost me on that one-
    my truck doesnt down shift any more than our old truck- actually I can now pull up hills on the highway- 75mph- 2100 RPM all the way up the hill- with NO change in tranny-speedo/ or tach.???

Brandy

HELP!!!!! I need 16.5x 12 rims -------please please please!!!!!

oh, still LOVING the new dmax as well!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dang the mileage is crazy, but it made up my mind. I'm going cummins and not lookin back.

Sherman, Tx

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The Allison tranny will down-shift under brakeing, they call it compression brakeing. Less wear and tear on the normal pedal brakeing sys. You can feel it down-shif as the truck slows down. Excelent for holding a load, but I would think it's ruff on gas.
    I'm sorry, I should have explained it better. I can see how easily my wording was miss-leading.

I've been told the 8.1L are getting around 8-10 mpg. The old 7.4L were getting about the same. -It's not first hand knowladge, it's what I've been told.
    It's good to hear they are getting better milage.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ahhh now I know what you mean--

I LOVE that feature of the truck to be honest! I live on a 2 mile hill- straight up- with the old trucks gear selector in 1st,,, still had to brake, now I can leave it in OD, and just tap the brakes part way down, she shifts herself, and I dont have to use my brakes... LOVE IT!
    its not your wording that messes me up - its the fact its school vacation this week- so both kids are home LOL

Brandy

HELP!!!!! I need 16.5x 12 rims -------please please please!!!!!

oh, still LOVING the new dmax as well!