Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec 8100 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Jun 18, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a chance at a killer deal on a GM Vortec 8100 longblock core from a local dealership. i'm wondering about intakes, exhaust, and the possibility of running a distributor in this engine. does anyone know if it can be done? are the parts to do it readily available?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

dist, not possible, and Ive driven a couple of these Stock, and I don't like how gutless they are, compared to the 507 caddy, everything is underpowered. but still they are way under powered, IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i love the way you plug the caddy every chance you get... it just makes me want to get it in that much sooner! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Caddy isnt an option here, a pair of Pontiac 400s, the stock 305, a Vortec 5.7 and a Vortec 8100 are what i have at my disposal.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

care to sell me the Vortec motor? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Why not build one of the 400s? Would cost you less than the 8100. They are correct here is no option for a distributor on the 8100 and not a whole lot to be done to them. Could stroke a 400 to a 455, nice intake, cam, compression it would be a torquey motor making all around decent power. You'd have to locate all the factory parts for that 8100 to make it useable. That means, intake, computer, all the ignition, all the sensors. If it were a complete motor with the harness and all I'd probably be singing a different tune. I know fitting a Gen III small block in our trucks takes some mods wouldn't want to think the hassle of that big block. They make aftermarket carburated intake setups for the Gen III Small Blocks but not for the newer Big Blocks that I know of.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, if i decide against the 5.7 i've got a couple of friends who have expressed an interest in it, so it would probably go to one of them. the only problem i forsee with the Pontiac engine is mounting and headers, problems which i have attempted to find a solution for in the past, when i was considering building a "Pontiac C-10" out of my 82 C-10. shaker hood, custom emblems and everything were in the plan, but it never happened thanks to the motor mounts and headers. also, since i have an SM465, how would i go about mating it to the Pontiac engine while retaining the hydro clutch?

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

just a simple adapter plate will bolt the two up.

i would go with the vortec you got, FI plus the power of a Vortec=good

i thought you wanted to go diesel? ive decieded against it because of the wheeling i do, but that 6.2/465 k30 still sits there. you wanna split the cost, i take the axles and you take the motor and anything else you need? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dude you so stole my idea!! I want to build a Pontiac C10. Have a 400 sitting in the garage collecting dust. Wanted to build a hot little 400 and drop it in a late 70s C10. Or an S10 with a big block pontiac motor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif AS for how to use the SM465, I simply do not know. There is at least one guy on Pirate doing exactly this and I want to know HOW. Adapter plates are fine for autos but same can't be said for our 465s. I wanted to dump my 400 in my K5 but I run an SM465 as well. Oh and i don't really care about the motor, shipping and all would kill me, and a friend just said I can HAVE the motor out of his 9C1 caprice which is a roller motor which is the part that i care about /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

TJ, my friend, you have a PM... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My father has an '01 Silverado (long bed, standard cab) with the 8.1, and he hates it. Lousy mileage compared to the power output. He said he's getting punked by guys in '04 Dodges with the 5.7 Hemi. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif For him, that's like throwing a road flare in a bucket of gasoline - that's how hot he is about it.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'd just like to go on the record and say that TJ, Rene, and Casey are all bad influences. Rene is the one who initially gave me the idea of a 6.2, Casey with the mods to do to said powerplant, and then TJ comes up with one for a screamin deal. hopefully it works out.... we'll see.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 8.1L has revised port locations, so the intake and heads are not "standard" BBC stuff. The shortblock will apparently accept Gen 5 or 6 heads and intakes.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HEMI (jacking off motion) HA.
    Sure the 8.1 doesnt get that great of mileage, but its a bas ass engine. Dont know what 8.1s you drove that were gutless, but a 3500, crew cab, 4wd, dooley, man that thing scooted, even got em loose! And in the burb, man, thats one sick engine. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

In my '02 Yukon XL 3/4ton. Mine gets 14-14.5mpg arround town!! I'm VERY HAPPY w/ that. BB moving approx 7k lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That beats my '97 3/4ton w/454 12.5-13 mpg. 8.1L w/340 hp 485 lb torq. it pulls hard. vs. 7.4L 290 hp 395 lb torq. it does well when towing.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i'd just like to go on the record and say that TJ, Rene, and Casey are all bad influences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I've got an '03 Sierra 3/4 ton HD with the 8.1 and the six-speed manual transmission. (The six-speed is the "standard transmission", but I had to special order the truck to get it. Go figure.) I get 14-15 mpg on the highway with the A/C on at 70 mph. I've been very satisfied with both the motor and the transmission. IMO, the 8.1 has plenty of power and torque.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Does the 8100 come with the allison behind it? Probably sucks up some power right there.

18. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

As I recall, it's either the Allison or the six-speed manual for the 8.1 and the Duromax diesel. The six-speed manual is the "standard" transmission, but 99% of the ones on the dealers lots have the Allison automatic. I got a $1000 deduct for ordering the manual, which offset the $850 add for the 8.1 motor.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah you got to love that nothing comes with a stick anymore, except diesels. I wish my 97 were stick.

20. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, if you get the manual transmission you don't have to pay the "thousand dollar gas guzzler tax".

But yeah, the 8.1L impresses me. The 6.0L everyone gets in their 2500HDs is a girly motor. I can blow the doors off my Aunt's 2003 2500HD extended cab shortbox with my "little" 305. I get better gas mileage as well...

It's funny how my uncle has an identical 2500HD and he gets better gas mileage with the 8.1L.