Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec and TPI? Anyone already have this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Apr 30, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just seeing if anyone on the boards has done it????

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm working on it...got the heads, got the motor, got the TPI, waiting on the intake. (which I've ordered, we'll see when it gets here if its the right one...don't ask : ) I may have, and will let EVERYONE know if I have actually found a source for the Vortec base for cheap...thats a real sticking point, the cost of that base. ($4-450)

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am in the same boat. I would love to run Vortec heads but geez those are some expensive intakes. If I had the dough I would get one. The companies that are making them have to sell them for lots of cash due to the low interest in them. Now if more people were interested, well we all know what that would mean.
    Justin

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I have vortec heads on mine with edelbrock intake and a quadrajet hopefully going to injection soon. I would rather save my money and go with a ramjet 350

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, having to run on 92 octane, not being emissions legal (if necessary or important to you) and missing some critical components to make TPI actually worthwhile, (VSS, O2 sensor for two) I'd spend $4500 on something better...you could build one heck of a nice motor (better than that one) for that kind of money, and STILL be injected.

"originally designed for use in marine applications" to me means that cost of fuel and fuel economy were not part of the designers thinking...I'm sure it works fine, as it was designed....it just wasn't designed for a car : )

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I totally agree. No O2 sensor...........what were they thinking?