Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by t's85chevyk5, Feb 5, 2004.

1. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

Im looking to build a vortec 350 soon, and i was wondering if anybody knew of a mild cam that would work well with it. Im planning to put a edelbrok carburated intake manifold witha rochester quadra jet on top.
    thanks fellas /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I ran vortec heads on my Q-Jet carb'd 355 till I sold it. Was the best running 350 I've had! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    It ran:
    9:1 CR
    Edelbrock Intake
    204/214* Summit cam w/ 112 lobe sep (advanced 4*)
    stock manifolds into 3" single exhaust.

Great idle, ran good to 4500 rpm, made plenty of power.

Marv

3. t's85chevyk5

thanks boss /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just as a side note, besides a slightly different casting (apparently, not just fuel pump) the Vortec blocks aren't different than the earlier ones, so in your case, the Vortec heads are the only difference.

Nothing wrong with it, just that a Vortec 350 is "just" like all other later 350's, save the heads. I think a lot of times people think that because the Vortec 350 as installed in trucks is such a great motor, that carbing it will be just as good, when in fact it's the injection system that makes them as good as they are, along with the heads of course.

5. t's85chevyk5

Im doing the carb for cost efficiency. i got the motor for free, so i figured i would just build up a decent motor for my daily driver. I would like to run fuel injection but having to pay for college with a part time job, i cant justify it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Be careful with the springs. They don't like lift over .450" or so, and some of the roller cams out there require more spring pressure than the stock ones can muster.

Stock Vortec cam was extremely small, something like .420" max lift, and I'd guess something like 114* LSA.