Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec Distributor Timing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Jul 24, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

I did an intake swap on a 98 vortec. I am pretty shure i have everything connected. I marked the cap in relation to the firewall, but think i may had turned the rotor. I have heard that these can't be set to point at number on while the engine is at top dead center. And if not, does anybody know where to point the rotor? It was close to starting, but not close enough. Please if someone can help me on getting this finished.:confused: :(

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Adjust it until it runs than take it to the dealer to get reset.

3. jaredmajor

haha....................................................are you serious? What needs to be reset?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The timing on a Vortec is set using the Tec2. Take it to the dealer.

5. jaredmajor

What happens if the dealer is 307 miles away? I am screwed huh?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most any shop with a snap on scanner or other will be ably to do it for ya. we have a older snapon that every one calls the brick in the bissness that will do it.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

No need to take it to the dealer. If you look very closely at the dist you will see two little arrows around where the dist cap seals to the dist. One will have a 6 and one will have an 8 on it. Set up the engine on tdc on the compression stroke on cyl #1, put the dist in pointing at the 8 if it is a V8 and 6 if it is a V6. After you start it up, rev it up a couple of times say over 2000 rpm. If the check engine light doesn't come on, no trip to dealer necessary. If the light comes back on, you can fiddle with the timing and keep reving it up to see if the light comes on or not. I've always had very good luck just stabbing them in there and timing being dead nuts or close enough in the Tech2.

8. jaredmajor

Thank you very much, i will give this a shot today and update. It's been raining all day and night so i am going to wait till it dries up a little. Who knows how long that will be, Sometimes it will be like this for a week or two straight.

9. jaredmajor

thanks ryan22re, that was it and it runs great, not check engine light because i marked the cap and everything. Thanks for the info!