Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec engine swap into older chevy info?(using the fuel injection)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by troyboy, Mar 16, 2003.

1. troyboy

troyboy Registered Member

can anyone give me any web sites or links on swapping a vortec motor into an older chevy. getting ready to do 1 on a a 83 chevy,wiring harness will hopefully be done this week. trying ti figure out if i can eliminate the back 2 o2 sensors,dont plan on runnin convertors. some other odds and ends im wondering about.

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Don't know what size alternator you're running right now, or what shape it is in, but after the conversion you'll be using more juice (fuel pump, computer, etc), so make sure it's up to the task.

That's the only suggestion I have! :-)

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

really depends if you are doing closed or open loop. Open loop you don't need any oxygen sensors but has to be calibrated for it and the computer doesn't make adjustments for fuel mixture. If you are running it closed loop you will need O2 sensors so the ECU can make adjustments to fuel mixture to keep it at 14.7 to 1.

4. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Here is a site that is useful. Also check out the links page on that site for some others.

BigJohnson

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">You can get false secondary O2's, I think I saw them in Jeg's or something. Basically it just plugs into the secondary O2 connector and tells the ECM the cat is working fine, even if there is none

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what did you get the motor out of?
    if you grab all the wiring, brain and the sort out of the other vehicle you could use that... I got a 1991 Caprice police motor ( 9C1 )... hydrollic roller cam/lifters.... but i didnt want a brain in my truck... it is just good being stupid.... i like it that way....

7. troyboy

thanks for the replys guys. ill have to check into the 02 sensors trickers. its a 2000 motor out of a 3500. i got a computer and harness. it uses 4 o2 sensors,2 before cats and 2 after. im not gonna run cats.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So is the setup from the 2000 a dual exhaust setup?

Just curious, can't imagine the 2 cats are "inline", are they??

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

since theres 4 o2s sensors i'd say it almost has to be dual cats...
    inline cats arent that uncommon...one real close to the exhaust manifold, called the light off cat, then the normal cat...

the "light off" cat gets hot quick due to its small size, its chemistry, and the small distance to the cylinder... basically heats up the regular cat quicker than normal...
    this is crutial since the bulk of emissions occur in the first 90 seconds after start up...mostly when the cat isnt hot enough to work...

cant say that i've seen this on a truck before, but i've seen it on cars and its starting to gain popularity since all the auto manufacturers are trying to lower their emissions

10. troyboy

the donor truck had dual exaust(1 cat on each side) to a dual inlet muffler and single out

11. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

You can remove the rear o2 sensoers if you get the computer reprogrammed. I'm putting a 99 5.7 vortec into my 87 Jimmy. It's almost done. Im in Phoenix and must have all the emission crap hooked up so I'll have all 4 o2 sensors. The wiring is pretty easy the only thing that sucks is that I need to have to computer re-programmed with to remove the VATS.

Mike