Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec engine swap??? Yes I did a search already.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, my rig is burning oil by the gallon(2 to 3 quarts a week), it's time to put in a rebuilt engine. Most of the people I've talked to have encouraged me to get a 5.7(350ci) Vortec rebuilt long block from Auto Zone $1400.00 + $350.00 refundable core charge. Auto Zone now gets their rebuilt engines from the same company that does the GM Goodwrench rebuilt engines. This seems like it would be pretty good quality. I have an acceptable core besides the engine in my Blazer. I've already decided that rebuilding one of my old engines is not for me. My lack of experience, and the benifits of a warrantee make the long block worth it for me. If I were to rebuild I'd still want to do Vortec heads, but those things are pretty expensive($259.99 Each + shipping from Jeg's)

Here is a list of things that I think I will need to do this swap:

1. Intake Manifold(to use carburator on Vortec engine)

2. Oil Pan(Dipstick on other side)

3. Valve Covers(Center Bolt Style)

Is that it? Will everything else fit? I plan on replacing the water pump, but would my old one work? I did a "search" and found that the exaust headers will work. Am I missing anything?

One more question concerning the Carburator, I have a Jet Perfofmance Quadrajet Carburator that was specifically built for my old engine's set up, which consisted of an Edelbrock intake/RV Cam/Headers/dual exaust with glasspack mufflers. The rebuilt Vortec is stock, but the intake will be similar, and the headers will be the same. The difference will be the Vortec heads and the stock Vortec cam, which I am told is a roller cam. This rig is my only vehicle so I have to do this swap quickly. Does anybody know if the carb will work as it is, or am I gonna have to send it to Jet Performance to get it altered?

Thank's for your input.

Later,
    Allan Greenblazer /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'll be rebuilding my 88' 350tbi this summer which includes the vortec setup. One other thing that you'll need that I know of is self-aligning rocker arms since those heads are centerbolt style. Oh and what side is your stock dipstick on? I wonder when they changed from driver to passenger side. Anyway, I think that's about all you'll need. I'm not too great with carbs so I can't help you there, but Good Luck.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll need a new flexplate/flywheel, since the newer blocks are one piece rear mains.

A Vortec block will be a roller AFAIK, since a true 5.7 Vortec motor is 1996 or newer.

Vortec motors have extremely mild camshafts, so if thats going to be a problem for you, you MIGHT reconsider the Vortec heads. They are great if you can make them work easily, but there are multiple problems you can run into when going with a larger than stock cam. Be advised, before you start dumping money into the Vortecs (I mean making them work with bigger cams) there are otehr heads out there that can do the same or better, for about the same price.

If the long block comes with roller cam/lifters, then I think the $1400 isn't too bad.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what other heads are out there that can do the same job and maybe cheaper?
    i have a 1991 caprice 9C1 vortec 350... hydrollic roller cam/lifters.. estimated at 260+hp.... i wanna eventually get to around 350hp max
    thanks

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

heres something i got when isent an email to ask thorley if my headers would work on a vortec head. They said that they would as long as the heads were of the 96-98 design. In 99 they changed them so the exhaust ports are evenly spaced down the side of the head like 0 0 0 0 instead of 0 00 0. Understand?

6. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Mine is an '01 vortec an the exhaust is 0 00 0. The only problem I had with the exhaust was the pass rear manifold bolt is in the furthest back postion (Alot of older heads have 2 holes here for bolts, this would be using the furthest outside one), but the heads only have the narrow pattern on that port.

Keep in mind if you are currently running a mechanical fuel pump, you will need to get an electric. True Vortec blocks are not machined for the fuel pump pushrod.

7. dyeager535

As Tim said in the other post, there IS no Vortec motor pre 1996. Ok, clarification, no V8 Vortecs pre 1996. Saw a 4.3L "Vortec" valve cover that was pre '96 at the swap meet.

Vortec engines are central port injection (at least for '96) with the fast burn style heads.

http://members.fortunecity.com/copcarsite/caprice.html

I have a feeling the motor that went into those cars MAY have been the L98, but I'm not certain on that one. You'll have to do some research on it. At least you know if it's a 1991 motor, you don't have to worry about the Vortec specific problems. But if it's not even an L98, you are going to have to work a bit to get a ton more power out of those heads.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well i looked up the block number on the web.. i have it somewhere.. i will go look later..since i am at work.... and it came up as a vortec block... also the heads came up as steel... so i am sure of the vortec block in the 1991.... hmmmmmm i gotta look for the info... i actually have the vin number somewhere too..... there is a spot that says it.. i will look tonight.......

now on that site it says 170hp-190hp... could they still be hydrollic roller lifters??? here is an inside shot of my motor.. with the lifter hold downs......

pic is big that is why i didnt just throw it here.....
    http://68.44.94.46/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/Pics/truck/heads1.jpg

9. dyeager535

Wouldn't matter if thats a Vortec block or not, those aren't Vortec heads, and that plus the induction system is what makes a Vortec a Vortec.

Vortec heads have *8* "vertical" intake bolts total (yours have 12, 8 canted 4 vertical should be) and Vortec heads have NO EGR crossover, and the ones you have do. So no, those are not Vortec heads, and without CPI or the heads, its not a Vortec motor. Vortec block maybe, but thats nothing special.

Don't waste your time looking for the VIN, Vortec V8's weren't made prior to 1996, and were not installed in cars anyway. All of that proves that you don't have a Vortec motor, at least not one thats even half complete.

Thats a hydraulic roller lifter setup though, so you are good to go with that.

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I ordered a '97 5.7 Vortec long block. The fuel pump is something I had not thought about. Oh well, I'm commited now. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifOnce it's all done though, it'll be Pimpin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later,
    Allan Greenblazer

11. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

FYI Allan, I used an inline pump from AZ, and for about $35.00 it works great, but I had to hook up a return. I used the 3rd line from the factory fuel pump and a fuel filter from an 85'ish Dodge ram truck. The Dodge filter has a return plumbed in to it, and for 2.00 it's a great thing! Without the return, the pump would overheat at idle and eventually die.