Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec FI Retrofit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblock454, Jun 20, 2002.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I have been wanting to retrofit a Vortec setup into my K5. To save cost I was wanting to find only the FI components and rretorfit them onto my older block. I am starting to wonder if this is going to prove extremly difficult. Anyone know?

2. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Is it a Vortec Big Block or Small Block?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really think it would be exceedingly difficult.

The later you get (and '96 was the first Vortec headed motor right?) the more EVERYTHING is integrated. You end up trying to cull circuits for stuff you don't need/can't fit, and you end up with numerous problems you have to work around. (thats the case in all swaps, but this would add more complexity than necessary IMO)

Auto transmission would likely be the largest hassle, since its all ECM controlled at that point, but beyond that, things such as steering input, wiring harness, etc., were all MUCH different than our vintage trucks. If you took the ENTIRE harness and swapped it over, with all the parts, then it wouldn't be as difficult. But again, with the level of integration that the later models received, (and the difference in body style/setup) it is going to be very complex adding some of the stuff to your vehicle.

Personally, I'd stick with a mid-late 80's GM TPI setup. The '86-ish harness was completely standalone, the '88 I have has SOME fuse panel wires, but not many. Get the Vortec heads, Vortec TPI intake from Scoggin Dickey ($$$, but no other off the shelf choice) a Camaro CSM and Electrical manual, and have at it.

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

small block

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The right way to do this is to take the whole vortec engine and transmission out of the donor vehicle, transferring all wiring harness with them. Then you just need an electric fuel pump. Perhaps a gas tank+pump from an 87-91 K5 or Suburban?

Otherwise you have to take the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel rails and injectors, PCM, harness, etc, etc. and then find a way to fake out the controller into thinking the right transmission is connected and then fabbing up on interface for a T/V cable.

You could always get some vortec heads, a new intake manifold and then use a TBI or TPI setup, which would be almost as good.