Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads & 383 cid ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 10, 2002.

What do you think, I can get a 97 vortec 350 with roller valve train and the heads for 300$. But I want to build another 383 with an older 4 bolt, 2 piece rear main seal that I have allready, and a 400 crank I can get for 50$. Do you think I am foolish to give up the rooler cam set up for the older block/383 setup, and what do I need to do to fit the vortec heads on the 383? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes - foolish /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Really... You're better off to get a 383 stroker crank that fits in the roller block - it won't cost much more than having the 400 crank machined, it's a better casting to boot, and won't end up with a leaky main seal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Yeah I kind of expected that response, I think I just wanted to hear it befor I make the final choices. But because of $$$$ it will be either a 78 383 with vortec heads or a 97 350 with vortec heads and roller valve train.

3. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Northern Auto in Souix City Iowa sells crankshafts for the 383 swap in a 1 piece rear main seal block. Check em out!

4. do you have a web adress for them i would like to know the cost sumit has them for 300 but you still have balance theres

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Scat also makes a 383 for use in a 1pc rear main seal block..

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The reason that a new crank isn't already balanced is that you can't balance just a crankshaft. You have to know the wieght of the pistons, rods, wristpins, bearings, etc. first. Then the machinist will attach bob weights to each crank throw to simulate the weight of the other components. Now the crank can finally be balanced properly for the engine it is going to be installed in. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif On an externally balanced engine they also have to attach the flywheel and/or harmonic damper, depending on where the extra weight is located for that particular engine.

Check out the January 2003 issue of Car Craft magazine. It has a decent article on building your first engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. In a perfect world I would have a 383 with the vortec heads and roller cam, but I cant aford both.that would be 300$ for the v heads 300$ for the crank and 200$ to balance it, not to mention valve job, boaring, parts, ect that I am going to do either way. I have allready built two 383's one carbed(for a freind) and one TBI(in my wifes truck) and both run great, huge seat of the pants improvments. But I have never used the vortec heads before and I dont think they will give me the bost the 383 will. By the way this one is going in my dads 87 Full size wagoner that now has a very tierd AMC 360.