Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec Heads & A/C Bracketry

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadBowTie, Jul 21, 2000.

1. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>Ok, old motor is out, New 383 is on stand ready to go in. Has anyone else installed Vrotec heads on their K5? I have an Edlebrock Performer manifold, and one of the A/C brackets doesn't line up. Is their a bracket that I can order or do i have to fab my own?</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats weird. I have Vortec head on my truck but no A/C. I told Burt Greenwald Chevy that I planned on adding an A/C compressor for tools and tires. He promised me it would bolt up exactly the same as the old heads. Said all the holes for accesories were the same. Call them or Pace Parts for some more info.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I guess the bolt holes are all good for the heads. Bu the compressor has one extra bracket that bolts thru the manifold. The new manifold doesn't have the same holes, becasue of the vortec heads (y you have to get vortec manifold, cause old one won't work. I also belive that they mount the A/C on the pass side of ther motor on vortec engines

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

4. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

I had no problems with mounting my AC (79 blazer 400sb).I have the old style compressor on it. And Edelbrock Intake #2116 It has provisions for the top AC bracket.

5. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I don't have vortec heads on my truck but, I did change my brackets to the newer style serpentine setup. I did this because I wanted to use a newer higher amperage alternator and the A/C compressor and brackets were missing when I got the truck. These brackets came off of a 1995 which has the same accessory bolt pattern as the Vortec heads. I actually had to drill a hole in the cylinder head for pass side (Scary!) The serp brackets are a much cleaner setup over the v-belts and will work great with Vortec Heads. You would need to change your waterpump, fan blade and fan clutch though.

[​IMG]

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!