Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads and exhaust help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Jimmy, Nov 28, 2002.

1. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looking for some ideas for an exhaust, namely headers, that will 1)bolt onto vortec heads (I know most SBC headers will bolt to the vortecs) and 2)provide an EGR. I've been looking at some JBA (1832) which are meant for 96-99 vortec engines with an externally plumbed EGR. I'm concerned about fit though. I was wondering what you guys with vortec heads have done for headers to retain the EGR. I suppose I could just block the EGR off, but would prefer not too if possible. Buy the way the intake I want to use is a GMPP vortec intake with EGR 12486820

Any suggestions

James

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

JBA's are legal, as far as i know.

If you run the Vortec heads, with the SMOG approved manifold, and the (IIRC) JBA SMOG approved headers you should be fine.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I used Edlebrock TES headers on my new 383 with Vortec heads. I had to use the Edlebrock EGR adpter, it worked very well. I didn't like the y-pipe, it hung to low and had to be modified, otherwise the headers fit and did not have any clearence problems on my '90 Jimmy.

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm running the Vortec intake you mentioned. Here's what I've done. I've used Edelbrock TES headers (I got them because they've got everything included from header down to the cat). These headers come with an oxygen sensor bung already installed in the driver's side header. My rig's an '85; doesn't need an oxygen sensor; so I've used the oxygen sensor port as a source for the exhaust gas. I've also installed the EGR external pipe at the intake manifold; the pipe is about four inches short of reaching the port on the header. I bridged that distance with brass flare fittings and copper pipe - a temporary fix; just haven't gotten around to make a piece of steel pipe. If I ever get around to installing injection, I'll need another port for the oxygen sensor - I'll probably install that one in the passenger side, but for now with the carb, it'll do.