Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads on 305..... Worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zx672, Feb 14, 2005.

1. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Got an 84K5 w/305 (runs good, but still is a dog)...Can pick up some vortec heads for cheap, but got to buy a new intake manifold. Is it worth putting them on, or spend the time and money on a new crate motor?

Thanks

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Be advised that the opinions expressed in my reply are just that "My opinions", and do not necessarily reflect those of this board or other members... :grin:

I'm not a fan of the 305. I had a camaro when I was a kid and no matter what I did to that engine, it never came close to my friends 350. Granted I know a bit more about what I'm doing now than I did when I was 18 so I could probably make it work better, but once bitten twice shy...

However, I'm about 95% sure (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the heads/manifolds are interchangable from 350 to 305. So you could put the vortec equip on your 305 then transfer them to a 350 later.

My opinion would be to go with the crate or build a 350 yourself (I just like plastigauge and assembly lube myself:waytogo:)

Scott

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

A bone stock 350 will make as much hp as your vortech 305 and will have about 10 more ft lbs. I say get a reman 350 for cheap. You can get em for around 800 with a core.

the vortech stuff is interchangable from 262-400 sbc.

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

vortecs kick @$$ definetly worth the effort. id even spend the money to have bigger valves. i wish i had an extra dollar to spend. then my truck would have a set.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Before you buy them. Make sure they are 305 Vortec heads.

Dont put 350 Vortec heads on a 305. You wont get the results you expect.
    305s have smaller bore than 350. The smaller bore will shroud the valves. 350 Vortecs have 64cc chambers 305 heads have 58cc chambers. using 350 heads will lower your compression ratio =Less power.
    Also 350 heads will also probabally kill your low end.

6. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Thanks for the info.... I think I am just going to purchase GM performance crate motor.