Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads on a 400 ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The motor is a 1976 400 cid small block. Can I go to Vortec heads ??? What would need to be done to what ???

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Use a 400 head gasket as a template to drill the steam holes in the vortec heads. Other than that, just need the right intake and other misc items. My brother put a set on his 80 3/4ton W/ a 400. Runs great. Really woke the ol girl up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Called Jegs. They have a nice Intake manifold made by Chevrolet that they recomend. See it here. [​IMG]

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Rodzilla hit it... You need to drill steam holes, thats pretty much it. The steam holes that are closest to the outside edge (toward the spark plug holes) should be drilled at an angle, although I forget what that magic number is.

You will also need to use the rail type rocker arms. With the factory bathtub dish in the piston, I think you wind up with a 9.2:1 static compression ratio. The stock heads on the 400 would have been 72-76CC and Vortec's are 64cc's.

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Might check out the Performer RPM. I got mine for around $200. Another possibility is the off brand intakes. I have heard good things about them. My brother is getting ready to put one on a 350. Here is one on EBAY. There are a couple of others on there now that don't look too bad.

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have one of those Performer Plus intakes on top of my 454. I highly recommend them. They are made in China, but all the holes are properly drilled and aligned perfectly. It really shines and makes you want to keep your compartment clean.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think I'm going to go with the GM Preformance Vortec intake manifold from Jeg's.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When I was going to run a carb with the Vortec heads, I looked into that GM carbed Vortec intake.

From a story one guy was telling of visiting one of(?) Edelbrocks manufacturing facilities, the GM Vortec carbed intakes are made by Edelbrock anyways...he saw them piled on the floor. Of course that doesn't mean they are the same, but I woudn't doubt it.

I really wanted a "GM" intake on my motor, but there was NO way I could justify spending the $50-75 dollars MORE just for the Chev emblem over the Edelbrock Performer at $150.

Unless you can find something that says the GM intakes perform better than the edelbrocks, spend the money you'll save with the Edelbrock (or even more on the other intake others were talking about) intake on something else for your truck.

BTW, the Vortec heads are supposed to be good only for cams between .450-.480" max lift, but the heads I've got won't clear .450" even, so if you've already got a good sized cam in there, you may run into that problem as well. My swap has gotten more and more expensive as I go along. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

You will have good low end with those heads. Edlebrock has a Vortec Air Gap intake mainfold for about $220 from summit, that will also help your torque with the colder intake charge. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif