Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads on a 400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WhiteWhomper, Sep 12, 2003.

1. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if the steam holes can be drilled in a set of Vortec heads to work on a sbc 400? I saw some time ago that GM performance was now making a tbi manifold for the vortec heads, and I got to thinking....

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure that you can, I wish I would have gone with vortecs on my 406 but too late.

---------------------
    85K5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Yes, the Vortec heads can be drilled. I just built a 406 for a friend of mine - he had the holes drilled in the heads by a machine shop. The only bad part is the flat top pistons he wanted, in combination with the 64cc heads, make for some serious squeeze... tried warning him. It only runs right (without spark knock) on 92 or higher.

FYI, in case you don't already know, you'll need a new intake manifold to mate to the Vortecs.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

My brother put a set on his '80 400. He drilled the holes himself. The stock pistons work well w/the 64cc's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

So, how ya gonna make that thing breathe?

6. rjfguitar

Uh, he said he wants vortecs, thats a good step towards breathing.obviously a good set of headers and intake will help.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I was thinking along the lines of the throttle body, and getting more gas to is as well as whatever computer mods......

Granted the heads are an upgrade, but I think the throttle body then becomes the problem area.....

8. rjfguitar

yeah, could cause a problem but we don't know what upgrades he wants to make especially when it comes to the cam. He will have to have a custom chip made and I think that will push a little more gas through that tbi but I'm not positive. Using a 454 tbi would work but is actually bigger than what he MIGHT need. maybe some bigger injectors is the simple answer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif 400's sure suck the fuel though, mine sure as hell does. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, Vortecs can be used on a 400 with the addition of steam holes. Be careful with the compression ratio, a 400 pulls in more volume of air & fuel and then you are squeezing it into that same 64cc chamber. That alone will increase the compression compared to a 350.

Make sure you use a bigger throttle body, injectors etc. to feed that 400 as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a modified throttle body and custom chip from Turbo City or TPI Specialties. I should'nt require too many exotic modifications as I am trying to keep this motor more of a low rpm torquer. My cam of choice will be a nice dual pattern cam with no more than 218 degrees of intake duration @.050"

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I used a cam with 220 and 226 duration at .050" with S/R heads, and that motor was gutless until about 2600 rpm's. That truck could have seriously used some gears tough....

Keep me posted on how it all works out, as next summer I am planning something similar.....

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    My cam of choice will be a nice dual pattern cam with no more than 218 degrees of intake duration @.050"

[/ QUOTE ] Very good choice. I have the comp 268H which is 218@ 0.050" and 454" lift in and out. Great cam for a 400 becuase it breathes well, has a nice lobey sound with a low idle, and most important has LOTS of low end torque, feels like it makes good power all the way to 5500RPM's /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif