Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads on a 400sb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 23, 2001.

I've been hearing lots of good things about the vortec heads and would like to use them when i rebuild my 400sb. has anyone done this? i would think all i would need to do is have the edge of the combustion chamber machined out a bit to match the larger bore of a 400. any comments?

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

If you decide to try this make sure you have an extremely talented machinest. One of the biggest reasos for the vortect being so good is the shape of the combustion chamber. Because of the shape it swirls the air/fuel mixture and gives a "fastburn" quality to combustion. So be careful if you decide to do this.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

400 heads have steam holes on the heads. Check to make sure that the Vortec heads either have them or don't require them. If I remember right, if you get a Vortec manifold, there's a crossover water passage at the back to tie the two heads together. This is not on the regular SBC engine.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah... check on the holes... this is why I don't like 400's... ugh. Also I wouldn't touch the combustion chambers... I'd port match them to the intake and maybe open up the runners a bit. Then maybe a 3 or 5 angle valve job if you want... but then you could afford more pricey heads. 383's and 400's usually like something w/ a little bigger ports like a Sportsman II... but the Vortechs are one heck of a bang for the buck.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

glad to see you decided to keep your boat anchor, I mean 400.
    seriously it will be a torque monster if you do it right. I am having steam holes drilled right now at bend auto and machine
    for the 400 I am putting together. He is only charging me $20.
    let's tear down your motor when you can and start having stuff magnafluxed and turned as you get the cash flow. Be happy to help out. Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!