Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads ON/ off again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JMZ, Mar 24, 2002.

1. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

Pulled heads off.Somebody(on this board) told me they probably had some bent valves. I kind of figured it but did not want to believe it. I am going to fix the heads with some new valves. Where can I get some valves? Also, I have a wore out cam and timing chain. I can`t get over the power it had, running like it was!!! What kind of cam should I go with? A friend has a brand new cam and the lifters out of a rebuilt long block ( they put a bigger cam in it), for $75. Would you go with a factory cam for that price or bump it up? My grand mother used to say,( haste makes waste) it was true this time. Also found out I have a 4-bolt block, not that that makes a difference though. Thanks for all your help, on my last post about the intake backfire.

2. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i say go new cam, comp cams has a special 4X4 cam, to check it out get a Summit Racing or Jegs catalog www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com they both have everything you've ever wanted and decent prices, and i know summit has good service, dont know bout jegs havent dealed with them, you can also get your valves there too.

phill

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i would defenitaly upgrade the cam,but why do you have bent valves?something you need to figure out before it happens again.pushrods too long?rocker geometry off?did the timing chain break or skip a tooth while it was running?food for thought.i use summit racing have had great service and fast shipping to my door.

shane

4. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

The heads came off a marine engine that threw three rods.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If the engine is relitively stock, get the smallest Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam. That's what I've got. It ROCKS. It has tons of torque on the bottom end where it belongs.