Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads, what kind of cam?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigredblazer, Dec 17, 2001.

1. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 350 in my 88 Blazer, and I plan on putting vortec heads on in he near future. I need some recomendations on what cam to run that will be FI friendly. I will be running headers, with a 3" single exhaust if that matters. Any help is appreciated. I should add that I'm just looking for the best all around set up, nothing crazy since it's still my daily driver. Thanks Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigredblazer on 12/17/01 12:29 PM.</FONT></P>

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I don't have FI... but I have a Q-jetted 355 w/Vortec heads. Wanted to stay mild with the cam, so I chose a Summit 204/214 @ .050" and 112* lobe separation. I also installed it 4* advanced.

I love it!... Good idle, lots of torque, and runs great to about 5000 rpm.

Marv

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

with the stock Vortec heads you have to be carefull of the cam you get because I think a 460 lift is as high as you can go. If you go bigger you have to machine the valve guides down and use different springs or you run into a clearence problem and also run into coil bind. Scoggin Dickey sells some of the heads that are already machined for this type of deal.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm running cam 114122 (crane cam's part #). the cam needs to be advanced 5 degree's at install though.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gm says .450 for stock springs. You don't have to machine the guides down, someone makes (crane or comp cams) springs suitable for Vortecs and larger cams. I know a guy running .480+ lift on the stock Vortec springs and really hasn't had any problems. Maybe I'm a worry-wort, but I'd be leery of pulling the studs with that kind of lift too, although this guy is using the pressin studs still.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your input, I have a lo t of research to do for my build up. I'm working on a deal for a 454, so I'm hoping that goes through. Thanks again you guys. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

7. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

im running an erson tq-20 cam in my 350 w/ vortecs and have had no problem yet. dont remember what the specs were exactly cause i lost the card.

<font color=red>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>