Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jul 4, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Will Vortec heads work on a 400 small block?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they should work fine. You do need a different intake though.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

400's have steam holes in the heads that I've heard have to be drilled on non 400 heads.

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]I no longer have a photo album. thanx ZING![​IMG]

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking. I knew i heard something about that kinda thing before. I already have Vortec heads and the whole setup on my 350 right now and it was a huge power increase, but I am greedy. I've been thinking about a big block swap for a while, but its just so dang expensive. I was thinking if I could get a 383 stroker or a 400 and use the Vortec heads then I'd have more power than I do now that wouldn't cost as much as a 454. I know the 383 would work fine, I was just wondering if the heads would match up to a 406 correctly. Thanks for the info.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of the same buildup today!! If you do it, let me know how it works. The only difference if I do it will be the TBI. Keep me posted though! Jon

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup you can modify the heads for the steam holes... although O'm not a 400 fan. I'd go 383 though... a properly built one w/ some Vortechs will make as much torque as a big block... well at least enough torque to hang w/ the big boys yet hopefully leave some drivetrain parts intacked as well as some rubber on the tires LOL [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>