Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPERSUB87, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

ok so im planning on buying some vortec heads this summer.:D
    few questionss
    1. are the aluminum heads worth the extra dough (cons)
    2. would i need to buy an intake manifold for the vortec specific heads?
    3. do they really get as much of a horsepower increase as they say they do?
    thanks a million.

2. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

1. the aluminum heads are only worth the money if you are going to be running high compressions (in excess of 9.5 to 1)

2. yes you will need a vortec specific intake manifold, the vortec ports are much taller than older style heads, and the vortec port will actually extend over the top of the old style manifold by about an 1/8 of an inch. no there is no way to modify them to work together.

3. i would also suggest getting a pair of iron heads off a junkyard truck, save a boatload of money and have a set of fantastic heads. clean em up and throw em on. you want the heads off light duty trucks with casting numbers ending in 062, avoid the ones that end in 908

4. as for the power increase, yes there is a big difference depending on engine combinations. for a completely factory engine, youre probly looking at 30-50hp more. especially in the lower rpm ranges. the strength of the vortec heads are in the low lift, from 0-.2 inches of lift. which does a great job filling the cylenders at low engine speeds. so there will be a very big difference in off the line acceleration. top end might not change much due to cam specs, carb size, exhaust yadda yadda

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aluminum is really only good as a weight saver. You HAVE to run higher compression with AL heads to make the same power as iron. AL sheds heat better, and heat is power. To up the heat, you up the compression. :)

A good set of aftermarket heads (AFR, world, etc) properly chosen for your application will probably make more sense than the Vortecs, although the cost will likely be higher.

There are all sorts of shortcomings and one-off issues with the Vortec heads, they've been spelled out before on this board. I'm too tired to write all of them up again, but a search should yield some answers.

If you decide to go with Vortecs, check with RHS and EQ(unsure of both of their websites) as they both offer replacement Vortecs that are probably better than stock ones, at little to no extra cost.

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

ok thanks a lot.

5. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

the Cast Iron Large Port Vortec SBC Heads accept old style intake as well as vortec intake, plus they will accept centerbolt or perimeter valvecovers, you will have to run self aligning rockers.....these are supposedly better than the L31 vortecs that they say will out flow phase 2 bowtie heads straight out the box, so these must really be some good heads, plus all your stuff still fits

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productitem_10001_10002_757456_-1_320634

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now them look nice, it says it accepts both intake patterns, but I wonder do the ports line up?

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

if they advertize them as working, well i guess they do, but the ports are so different im really not sure how they do. :confused:

8. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

If you want a good set of heads cheep, try and find the older style vortec heads. Granted they don't flow much up in the higher RPM range but they sure do produce a butt load of lorque down low. Thats what we are looking for in our truck besides right? That is unless you wanna drag race. Aluminum are great, edlebroc makes their version of the vortec's and they produce good number. Get the ones with the smaller valves though, you'll end up with more torque than the big chambered heads. Benifit is you get to run higher compression and done right you may pick up some MPG because of the higher compression. (engine will be more efficient)

Have fun!

~Brian

9. blazin_blazer

10. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

11. blazin_blazer

i like trick flows for aftermarket, plus they look cool like a bbc with the canted valve
    or actually while we are talking over the rainbow i want a set of sb2.2 heads and intake!

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

sorry for the hijack, curious, 454's,,,,were there ever Vortec ones made?

some guy on Craigslist is selling a F.I. system, with (he's claiming) a Vortec intake manifold..

curious...

13. 76zimmer

Yep 96 and up production trucks

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm just finishing up a MPFI 383 w/ RHS Vortec heads for my '90 K5. I'm really ready to see what this thing will do. Desktop Dyno shows peak TQ @ 440 lb/ft. at 2500 RPM. This is right where my truck cruises when towing my camper. Peak HP show about 380 at 4500 RPM.

I know they made Vortec BBC's but it seems that the Vortecs didn't have as good of a reputation in the BBC's. It does seem like maybe the stock BBC heads have been better than SBC in the past, so maybe the increase was not all that significant. :dunno:

15. 76zimmer

I think HP went from 235 to 290 with the 454 and vortec setup.

350 was 210-255

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

interesting, was just pondering the idea, as mentioned in MY previous posts about the 454 deal, it's going in a tow rig, so more power/torque would definately be nice,,,,along with alittle better fuel mileage while not towing anything but my lardass around :D :p:

17. 76zimmer

My 96 454 had 420 torque @ I think 3600