Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3car, Dec 21, 2001.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

are vortec heads a direct bolt on for older motors?if not what do you need to do?

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The Vortec heads have a different intake bolt pattern so you need a matching intake and gaskets. There are many carbureted aftermarket intakes available now to fit. Try to get the rockers with the heads (if buying used) as they are the self aligning type & you need these. The hole for the temperature sending unit is smaller also.
    Lonnie

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The heads will bolt right on to the block without any trouble. Like Lonnie said you will need to get a different intake manifold that has the same bolt pattern and the self aligning rockers that you need are about $50 from a chevy dealer. its a easy swap. While you are doing it, why not put a better cam in there and replace your old timing chain with a double roller.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

thanks.found a good deal on the vortecs,just didnt know what was involved.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Where are you at in central Fla.??? I am not too far from Tampa.

To your question...I run Vortecs on my motor. Everything you need to know has been covered here cept the need for different gaskets also. The Vortec gaskets are .120 thick. In comparision to normal gaskets they look real thick.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

inglis,fl.thanks