Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3car, Sep 26, 2002.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i have a set of roller rockers for the 87'up centerbolt heads.will these work on the 96'up vortec heads? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are they "rail" or "self aligning" rockers?

The Vortecs use rockers that have "bumps" on the end where they hit the valve, so that instead of the pushrod/head or guideplates keeping everything in line, the rocker is kept centered on the valve stem.

Vortec pushrod hole is fairly small compared to earlier heads apparently, so I don't believe you can run guideplates on them, to use earlier rockers.

Rail type aren't much more expensive than earlier style ones as far as I know, so it shouldn't be a huge sticking point.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You can use guide plates if you change over to screw in rocker studs. From my experience, guided roller rockers tend to be a lot more expensive than their non-guided counterparts.

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies.rob /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

Yeah but if you have Vortec heads, that means you have to have the studs pulled, holes tapped, and buy new studs just so you can install guideplates /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I believe even the "bare" Vortec heads come with pressed in studs, no?

Might as well spend the extra money on the rail rockers in the first place, (unless you NEED the screw in studs and plates) as the work to have plates/screw ins done would be $80-100 around here anyway.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, I agree. I was just pointing out that you can use guide plates if you want to, same as any other SB head with pressed in studs. There is nothing in the casting preventing them from working. Actually, I was looking in the Summit catalog last night, and for some manufacturers, the guided rollers were the same price as the regular ones (as they should be). I think this price differential is going away as the guided ones become more popular.

7. dyeager535

Yeah I just did some quick research, and note that even GM sells guideplates for the Bowtie heads, and they seem to have the same pushrod hole setup as the Vortecs..that was my only thought, that the smaller hole allowed for very little pushrod side to side play, even with guideplates.

Some guideplates I've dealt with seem to do only a so-so job of keeping the pushrod centered, but sometimes, the guideplate is closer on one side than the other to the pushrod, and I was thinking this could cause some problems.