Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Nov 7, 2002.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

If I were to get vortec heads and intake on my 87 350 with TBI what would I have to change.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

EGR is all I can think of if you go with the TBI intake. Only hard part that needs changed in your situation I'm thinking.

3. blazingboy

That is what I thought ,but I got the pipe going into the front of my exhaust manifolds don't know what it is called is that what I need.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is this pipe you speak of that flexible exhaust tubing going from air cleaner to exhaust manifold on left side of engine (when standing in front and facing engine)? If yes, then that is not what he's talking about. All that does is pull warm air - (not even exhaust, just warm air) off of the manifold in order to warm up the engine faster. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is located on top of the intake manifold at about 10 o'clock - looking at engine from front of vehicle. That is the dohickey (vacuum operated) that does the exhaust gas recirculating - hence the name.
    Hope that clears things up.

5. dyeager535

If you are talking about the pipe that goes to the air cleaner, no thats not EGR.

The problem with the Vortec's and EGR is that the Vortecs have no exhaust crossover. It runs through the middle of the intake, from one head to the other. The stock EGR up until (I guess) 1996 was located right on the intake, and just tapped into that passage.

Since there is no passage on the Vortec heads, EGR has to be routed from the exhaust manifold itself. Scoggin-Dickey has a kit for that conversion, not sure how it would work with the TBI setup, but I know it will work with their TPI Vortec base plate.

6. blazingboy

ok I got it figured out now it wasen't the heat riser that goes to the air cleaner it is something to do with the smog pump they go into the smog pump I guess it's just some more emission crap.

7. dyeager535

I don't think I'd quite call it crap, since it works, it's just additional stuff that can cause problems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status