Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Nov 26, 2000.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I ran across a cheap pair done up already. Buddy of mine that works for GM sold them to me for $100. The question I have is has anyone ever ran a set of these? and will tall valve covers work on my 72 K5 that has power brakes and air will I have enough clearance?
    Thanks for any help
    Blazin 72

2. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Boy, nice score. Can you get any more?

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have Vortec heads on my old 4bolt 350. To do it right, you have to change out a few things like getting a Vortec style intake, centerbolt valve covers, special bolts, and I had to change out my roller tipped rocker arms for stamped steel GM ones. It was worth it though. My engine has a stronger cam, etc, so that might enhance the heads a little more. But damn it really has good low end and screams over 3500 RPM.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by special bolts?
    valve cover bolts or head bolts?
    What type of intake did you buy?
    I was going to get the edelbrock rpm.

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Beware of the edelbrock ones if you intend on running it in the cold. There is no provision for a heat riser. Makes it very coldblooded. If you dont care buy mine so I can go buy the GM one like I should have done in the first place
    Luke

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I got the Edelbrock intake. When the engine is cold, it runs just a little rough. Once it gets up to 180 degrees, it runs fine whether its 90 outside or 30. The bolts I'm talking about are the ones for the intake...they look different than the old ones and the GM parts guy said they are necessary. I used the same head bolts.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure Vortec heads have no heat riser or EGR provisions. That being the case why would the intake have a heat riser passage?
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    The heads do not have the heat riser area machined out. I was going to do some "creative machining" and use a GM 01085063 intake. This does have a EGR provision too. On second thought this sounds like too much work. I guess I'll just put on EFI and not bitch about it at all.