Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RedneckK5, Aug 3, 2003.

1. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

does anybody know if i can use vortec heads on a 78 350 block with throttle body fuel injection of a 91 350. i know the heads will fit the block but will the 91 intake fit the 96-99 vortec heads?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Nope, gota get a different intake. GMPP sells tham and i ThINK edelbrock does too.

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

that is one option here is a few more, you can have you intake machined, what they will do is put wedges on the mount holes or you could have the heads machined to fit the mount holes in you intake here they will drill all twelve holes into the vortec heads. make sure you check the compression because I was thinking of this also and was told that vortec heads are 53cc and older heads are 64cc or 76cc this may put your compression up higher then you would like for running pump gas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

350 Vortecs are 64cc and they are not cast to have the 12 bolt intake pattern so material there gets pretty thin and that is not recommended.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The intake ports are raised on the vortecs, redrilling them for an earier intake is a waste of time.

Buy aftermarket Vortec knock offs (setup for the older intakes, ports should match) or go with AFR's, etc., that will accept the older intake.

Or buy Vortecs and go with the GMPP intake, and all the other Vortec issues which have been covered on here a LOT. No flame, just saying you've got a lot of reading to do if you want to learn all sorts of stuff. Carbed low performance Vortec headed engine is easy, you start spending more if you want more out of the engine.