Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec help now; Please....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Oct 3, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Underneath the plate on the throttle body, there is a little "valve, or plate thingy" riveted to the underside. This thing has ripped loose requiring removal or running the risk of losing it down the intake.

I have removed it, and now it idles like crap.

Any ideas on what the purpose of this thing was? I need an idea too duplicate it's job.

Vehicle in question is a '99 Olds Bravada with the Vortec 4.3....

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't get any help from folks that actually know, if it had wires to it, sounds like the IAC. If not IAC, are there open passageways or something that are "leaking" vacuuum?

Could it be an EGR valve or solenoid?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

here is the question. Did you modify the throttle blade in any other way? Did you just remove that piece? Its some type of throttle plate that doesn't allow maximum airflow or throttle. Not sure what the purpose is. I removed it on my 97 with 350. But if you put any new holes in the throttle blade that will affect idle.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I just removed it. It is looking like the hole for the piece I removed was smaller than the hole in the throttle plate.

I am going to try and close the hole down a bit, and see if that helps. It looks as if that thingy does not cover up any other port in the throttle body, it must be just the hole size.

Once again, the 'hole size' is a determining factor /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif