Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec install done but having tranny problems.. Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMCJimmy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Are there any automatics tech's out there? I recently finished installing a 5.7 vortec and 4L60e tranny into my 87 Jimmy. Got it insured last friday and started test driving it. It runs great but it's not shifting into 1st gear, even when I try to manually put it there with the gear selector. It starts out in 2nd and shifts fine to 3rd and OD. It's setting a generic Transmission Control Error code which is not much help. Any one got ideas of what to look at and test. Hopefully I don't need to rebuild the sucker is supposed to only have 30k on it.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you swap in the whole computer that goes with the vortec engine and electronic transmission, or are you running a stand alone transmission controller?

3. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm using the entire computer system. It's setting the general tanny problem code P700. After doing some research, the part that worries me it that I cannot get it to manually kick down into 1st. The shift lever should be independent of the electronic stuff. From reading on another board it doesn't seem too uncommon the the plug can come off of the 1-2 shift solenoid and cause a problem like this but you should still be able to manually put it in 1st.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifHow's the adjustment on the shifter linkage? When you've got it manually shifted to first, is that translating to the 1st gear detent down at the tranny? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif