Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec Motor Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91GMCSuburban, Jan 10, 2005.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

There is someone selling a Vortec motor long block from a 99 for $500. I think this is a good deal, but I can't any info to tell me if this motor has a roller cam and if it is a 4-bolt main. Any info from you guys?

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Yes the vortec motors are 4 bolts and have roller cams... There were a lot of these warantee r/r for coolant leaks. I bought my 98 for the $300 core. disasembled and inspected it, bought an intake, gaskets, oil pump, and timing chain and used it.... Was a real good engine, I killed it but that was operator error.

3. whiskey bent

whiskey bent Registered Member

Thats a decent price, with a little cash they can be made to put out 350-400p pretty easy. We recently built one and put it in a hybrid we are building. Cam kit, intake, heads worked, carb, and new bearings got us 370hp 345tq at the fly, on 93 pump. Also the vortec engines can take a good bit of revs with a decent valve train, the one we built turns 6500, not what you want for crawling, but great in the mud.

4. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys