Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec ? of a different kind.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUDNUTT, Feb 23, 2004.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i need to change the cam in my motor. i am running vortec heads and an rpm performer intake and need to know if the intake gaskets are reusable? did a search and didnt find any info on it.

deck

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say no only because there seems to be some durability issues with the stock style gaskets/seals, if thats what you are using.

They SHOULD be reusable if the seals are in good shape (the stock ones use neoprene for those that don't know) but I've heard of a few people that say theirs leaked, and thats without reusing them. Cheap insurance to get another set IMO.

I've seen valvecover gaskets that were made out of the same stuff, and after 100,000 miles, they still looked brand new.

3. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

the vortec i just got my hands on had 120,000 miles on it, and there were no leaks in the intake gaskets.I would probably just get another set from gm. They are also easy to install because of those tabs that pop into place.

4. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replys. i will be replacing them, i just thought i remembered that they could be reused. that and when i bought these they were like $50 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. like you said though " cheap insurance".

deck