Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bammax, Jan 7, 2005.

1. bammax

bammax Registered Member

When putting vortec heads on an '88 tbi 350 is it neccesary to install an egr setup? Why can't the egr passage be blocked off on the new manifold since the engine didn't have egr to begin with? If anyone knows the reason for adding this crap then let me know.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What doesn't have EGR? Both the Vortecs and TBI had EGR. :confused:

You don't NEED EGR, and it certainly is a pain to run it with the Vortec heads.

You'll have to see what others have done when removing EGR from TBI. I thought it would throw a code, but I don't have TBI.

If you are buying a Vortec TBI intake (or are you going with a Vortec carb intake with TBI adapter?) then it should come setup for EGR, but you'd still have to plumb EGR externally from the exhaust pipes.

I ran it externally on my TPI setup, had to weld a piece into one of the header tubes, plus a special hose, etc.

3. bammax

bammax Registered Member

I was going to get a vortec tbi intake and it does come plumbed for egr like you said. As far as I can see though I don't have an external egr on my engine that's why I wanted to know if I could just block off the egr port on the new manifold. I don't feel like adding any more emissions crap onto what I'm already stuck with.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You wouldn't be adding anything, since it already exists, you'd just see it.

I'm pretty sure there is a kit out there to run EGR, since no one has chimed in yet on EGR removal/check engine lights with truck TBI, I'd say not to block it off.

If it throws a code from not running EGR, getting a PROM with EGR "deleted" will more than likely cost more than just plumbing EGR externally.

You could always disconnect your EGR solenoid now and go cruise on the freeway for awhile and see what happens.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Intake: GM pn:12496821 294.95
    exhaust manifold: drivers side, Vortec equipped truck: 12557828 85.96
    EGR pipe: pn 10220275 52.54
    EGR pitting: 12552329 3.83

that should get you up and running.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you block off the EGR you will have to live with the CEL on all the time.
    Your engine will run OK but you may loose fuel MPG at cruise. ECM is set up to work with EGR at highway speeds. So it sets timing and fuel ratio depending on a functioning EGR. Without EGR you can get pinging at cruise, which will cause the ECM to reduce timing. At cruise speeds that =worse fuel milage.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

You can run stock gm parts but you will make a lot more hp with some good headers instead of exhaust manifolds, and a good intake manifold. I bet somebody makes an aftermarket intake manifold without an egr valve. If you go no egr you will have to have some work done to your computer because of what thunder said.

If you do run it you'll probably have to get a $50 plate from edelbrock to make it fit depending on your intake/tbi setup. Just got mine. Stock replacement my ass.:mad: