Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec-style intake manifold is missing some of the stock ports!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Aug 9, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm putting in Vortec heads and intake (for TBI) in my 88 blazer. Today I was swapping all the bolts and studs from my stock intake onto the new one when I noticed that there is no threaded port for the hose that connects to the power booster. Has anyone run into the same problem? What did you do? Here is pic of what I'm talking about:
    intake manifolds

Also, I noticed that the hole for the coolant temperature sensor is bigger in the Vortec intake than in the stock one which means I'll need to find one that fits. Should I go to autozone and look up a coolant temp sensor for a 96-up Vortec 350? Should that fit? what about the electrical connections?

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

For the coolant port just go to the hardware/plumbing store and get a brass bushing the right size. As far as the power booster look for another port that you can get vaccume from. Im sure there is one on it somewhere. You will just have to lengthen the hose to the booster. Hope this helps.

3. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

move the temp sensor to the fron hole and plug the one on top. also what i do for the brakes is go and get a 3/8 hose barb that fits that hole it is national pipe thread and then get some 3/8 rubber hose and run it to the booster and also u can tee the hose if u need vacuum for your hvac .

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    88 K5 350 vortec TBI

4. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    also what i do for the brakes is go and get a 3/8 hose barb that fits that hole it is national pipe thread and then get some 3/8 rubber hose and run it to the booster and also u can tee the hose if u need vacuum for your hvac .

[/ QUOTE ]

What hole are you talking about? There is no hole on the vortec intake which is my problem. Do you maybe have a picture of your setup? Oh and just curious, what would happen if I just plugged up the hose from the booster or just left it open? Would that screw up my brakes or something? thanks.

5. BayouBlazer88

Ok here is a pic of the only vacuum port in the manifold: Vacuum port

On the stock setup, this small hose runs to the big black ball on the driver-side firewall. Is this the port you're talking about T-ing off of? Because the male end of this fitting is too small for a 3/8" hose. Also, will this single port produce enough vacuum for the black ball and the brake booster?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is there a port on the TBI? I'm guessing PCV is drawn through there, which should work ok for brakes if you tee that line.

7. BayouBlazer88

Yeah there is a PCV port on the TBI itself but not in the manifold. So you're suggesting I should tee off from the PCV port on the throttle body or from the vacuum port in the intake runner behind the throttle body?

-I'd like to find the guy that designed this manifold and beat his ass. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Drill and tap a hole in the manifold.

Dan

9. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

i have a hole right behind my throttle body thats the port im talking about . the gmpp intake comes witha plug for it .

Kevin

10. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    Drill and tap a hole in the manifold

[/ QUOTE ]

-Not gonna happen. That manifold cost me $350. I'm not going to risk breaking it by drilling it. Not a bad idea though.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have a machine shop do it. That way if they break it, they'll buy you a new one.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah there is a PCV port on the TBI itself but not in the manifold. So you're suggesting I should tee off from the PCV port on the throttle body or from the vacuum port in the intake runner behind the throttle body?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's anything like the Quadrajet, yes, that's what I'd consider. PCV should be manifold vacuum at all times, unless that was changed with TBI. If it wasn't changed, I'd try it. Can't hurt anything...check valve on the brake booster line anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
    -I'd like to find the guy that designed this manifold and beat his ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

Drilling and tapping the manifold wouldn't be too bad, but you need to know where it's thick enough, and I'd not be surprised if the brake line fitting is NPT, instead of standard threads. Maybe ask whoever you bought the intake from (GMPP?) if they can recommend a way to do it.