Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec swap complete but????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazup1x, Feb 28, 2004.

1. blazup1x

blazup1x Registered Member

My buddy rebuilt my engine and installed a vortec conversion on my 87 k5 Tbi engine but when I went to pick up my blazer he opened the hood and my engine look just like it did when i took it to him! But It had the GM vortec intake He insatlled my stock A.I.R exhaust manifolds Let me mind you He did not install the vortec exhaust manifold or the exhaust tube that came with the kit My engine looks stock he re worked everything on top of the intake manifold It looks great I drove it and it needs a chip but has lots of power Do I really need that exhaust Tube? Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What exhaust tube do you mean? Is it EGR or AIR?

Either of those is probably going to be needed if you get a visual inspection. AIR will not throw a code, nor will it affect emissions test results. ECR is a little more complex, but also doesn't throw a code IIRC.

3. blazup1x

blazup1x Registered Member

First of all I should have listen to you about this conversion.If I had to do it all over again pro topline would be my choice.But I am very surprised the way my engine bay looks completly stock. I have read a lot of your posts about the vortec converion but i already had a set I purchased on ebay. So I'm guessing this set up should work?Oh sorry I forgot to answer your question I was talking about the hose that connects to the back of the 96+ stock exhaust manifold to the intake.everything looks great. except my throttle cable is about an inch and a half to long. Can I purchase one at any auto parts store? Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No problem Chris, I bought Vortecs when I did because I planned on a carbureted engine, and I got a screaming deal on them. The injection is what made my project expensive.

Anyways, it sounds to me like it's the EGR you are asking about. I'd run it myself, but with a stock chip, it COULD cause some problems. (what with different timing requirements, different fuel requirements, and so on based on the combustion chamber design)

I like EGR. Better freeway mileage in my case makes sense. I don't have to have it, but it wasn't too hard to run (short of the $70 kit lol) so I decided I would. I plan on trying to get the ECM to run in "highway mode" once it's working correctly, so that will hopefully really help out on economy while cruising.

How is the cable too long? Can't open the throttle fully? My TPI setup is the same way, even with the camaro cable. The pedal travel isn't "enough" on the truck, so I took the pedal out (easy) and bent the piece that holds the cable, towards the drivers seat, which in effect means more cable travel with the same pedal movement...now it goes to WOT no problem. The metal feels a little weak though, if trying this and you have access to a torch, might be a good idea to soften up the metal before attempting to bend it. That WOT problem is the only reason to bend that piece though.