Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortec swap opinion???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by island66, Apr 24, 2007.

1. island66

island66 Registered Member

Hey, guys.

I have an opportunity to buy a 6.0L Vortec, wiring harness, all the accessories, transmission, etc. from a 2001 HD Silverado with 31K miles for $1000 (or a hunting trip to MS:rolleyes: ). I would like to hear feedback from any of you that have done a similar conversion in terms of your overall satisfaction with the finished product. Did it live up to your expectations. Does it "drive" like a late model truck? How do you feel about the reliability? Did you notice an increase/decrease in MPG/performance/etc?

I'm basically trying to decide if this is something I want to tackle while this deal is in front of me or if I want to just fix what I've got and roll on...

Thanks, as always, for any input.

Jason

2. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

My Dad's '06 Sierra Denali with the 6.0L runs awesome (although it's got the 345HP 6.0L) so I think it would be a great engine to have in a K5. It sure won't drive like a late model truck since your chassis and suspension design is still going to be old but it will run alot more like one. I know atleast one or two members here have done a swap like that so you may want to run a search or they may decide to chime in.

-Wes

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

New EFI engines own the **** out of old-school SBC. If I could drop a 6.0L in my K5, I'd do it in an instant. Better reliability, more power, and if something breaks, you just plug the computer in and don't have to fool with troubleshooting things.

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

couldnt have said it better myself. But I have already done it, and yes I would do it again...no doubt about it. That is also a steal for everything you listed.

Remington

5. island66

Thanks for the help, fellers. I'm going to keep doing some research. I think we just might have to jump on this thing. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks, again.

Jason

6. Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson Newbie

I bought a 1999 5.3 /4L60 with zero miles for $2000. I installed it in my 1987 K5 (chopped top). The good news is that it has been running great since 2002. The bad news is that it cost a small fortune to do the swap. Change 4wd from left to right side drive- $500, remove anti theft from computer $250. Install speed sensor on 4wd $200, Install new motor mounts $100. Move battery, install engine and transmission computers, install dual cats with 4 O2 sensors (required for engine to self tune).

The bottom line is the truck runs and drives like a dream 16 mpg City 20 highway. 285 hp. It is a real sleeper- people pull up next to a 1987 K5 and dont expect it to run like a 350 tbi. The 350 tbi was a prehistoric piece of junk compared to the vortec 5.3

The bottom line is- I would do it all over again- but I would know that the costs for the installation will be around $3000 in addition to the original cost of engine and trans. I also had to go through strict California smog inspection for retrofit engines so everything had to match 1999 factory installation.

7. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know guys... that hunting trip to MS sounds pretty darn sweet to me. :wink1:

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

LS2 installs are so common now, that they are becoming dirt cheap to pull off.

- Programming is about 50 bucks -- http://www.pcmamerica.com
    - Fuel system is about 250 bucks for a 255LPH walboro, lines and fittings
    - Electrical system is nearly free, just need to splice in approx 12 wires, and change the pinout on one wire in one connector to make the factory fuse block / wiring harness an independant system
    - Engine mounts adapters are approx 50 bucks
    - Exhaust is around 3 - 400 if you provide the cats and mufflers
    - Driveshafts are around 400 again

Add another 500 - 600 or so for stuff that may pop up / I may have forgotten, and you are still only till about 1500, 2500 including the cost of the new engine and transmission.

As far as the drop on the transfercase goes, grab yourself an NP241 with a passenger side drop, and a speedo cable drive (89 K5, or burb, or I'll sell you the parts needed for it), use the stock 4L80E's speed sensors, hook your speed up with the cable drive, modify the little plug on the back of the pass side head to use as an adapter for a coolant temp sending unit, drill out the little port above the oil filter for the oil sending unit, and voila, you are pretty much done.

So, all in all, count on a total of about 2 - 3 grand to finish it all off, but trust me, it is well worth it! Those LS2s are incredibly awesome engines! And yeah, even if you arn't going to put that engine in your truck -- Buy it, then list it for 2500, and I betcha it sells as is...

9. island66

Does anyone know if advance or novak makes an adapter to mount a 205 to the 4L80E?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM made the piece. 4L80E/205 combo's were used in 1991 1 ton trucks. Hard to find, but they are out there. Gives you the VSS you need as well if you can find the 1991 205.