Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec To 700 Bellhousing Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FoolSizeK5, Jan 9, 2006.

1. FoolSizeK5

FoolSizeK5 Registered Member

Am i just going crazy or are my old factory 350 bell housing bolts to long for a vortec block to bolt to a 700 bell housing ??????

2. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

the blocks didnt change far as i know the tranny holes might just be shorter

3. FoolSizeK5

FoolSizeK5 Registered Member

any idea on why the old 350 bolts won't thread all the way in then ?? same block it's the old bolts with the old transmission ? i'm confused if it was the vortec bolts that would make sense

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

only difference between the blocks to my knowledge was the swap to a one peice rear seal, the trans bellhousing bolt holes should be the same. Did the block sit out anywhere for an extended period of time? check the holes for debris and run a tap through them but dont force them too far in, im not sure if youd hit a water jacket or anything. But it sounds to me like there is just something in the holes blockin them up. To be sure though, call up your local chevy parts dealer and ask if the pn for the bolts are the same for the two different engine applications. if they are different, they may have changed the length or thread count or something along those lines.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I was running a vortec shortblock in my truck, the bellhousing bolt holes are the same, only diff I found was that the bypass hole for the old reverse rotation waterpump(non vortec) was not drilled all the way, since the vortec waterpump doesn't use that hole for bypass(uses a hose on top to the intake)