Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortec V6 - Life Expectancy? Reload this Page Help reading electrical diagraV6 - Life Expectancy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've got a killer deal on a 96 S10 4x4 with a Vortec V6.... but 180k miles on it. 180k is pushing it for just about any engine as far as I know. Do any of you have any good/bad experiences with high-mileage Vortecs?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Head gaskets and intake gaskets, even on low mileage Vortecs.

I hate when poeple think that anything over 100K is "pushing it". There is a Vortec 350 owned by a kid in my class(96 Tahoe), that has 260,000 on the clock. No major engine work of any kind(actually no engine work, just accessory replacement). Heck the transmission was only replaced cause it dropped a driveshaft and cracked the case.

My 1997 C2500 runs like a champ, doesn't burn a drop of oil, no leaks, but it did need intake gaskets not long ago. That is only 105K though.

Look for service records or repair records. If things like the gaskets were replaced I would be more inclined to get it.

I won't say I would jump on it, you are right, many vehicles don't last that long, but its usually ones with poor maintenence or that are beat on their whole lives. A properly serviced and treated engine will last a long time. Mind you my stuff never lasts, and it isn't for lack of service...

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They are good engines, most of them last well into the two hundred thousand range, some die earlier of course. Check out the 262 forum at http://www.s10forum.com , they have a couple longevity polls there

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Thanks for the input, and sorry about the fubared title... I dunno what happened there :(

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89's 305 lasted over 320 000 miles before it blew up, and yeah, when she blew, she BLEW :eek1:

The newer engines last far longer than the old ones. I've got a 63 Dodge 1/2 ton with 50 000 original miles on it, and it is worn out beyond anything I've ever seen before.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My buddy has an 89 C1500 with the 4.3 and it currently has 280,000 miles on it. He has done head gaskets twice though. Currently needs a water pump, but other than that it's still going.

Rene

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

parts dept. has an 94 4.3 1500 with 435,000 miles on it. valve covers and intake never have been off of it. still runs ok.

ryan

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 94 4.3 vortec with over 345,000 miles on it and it still run good. the reason we replaced it is because someone didn't change the oil or filter for about 20,000 miles and it started knocking. it also burnt some oil after that, and didn't have the compression that it should have had. it was great up untill then.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Good things I like to hear, this is what I've got:
    96 S10 Blazer, about 178,000 on the clock.
    Alread had one head replaced, and an EGR valve.
    Used as a commuter to and from construction sites.
    Leather!
    Power everything, and ice cold AC.
    Never abused off-road (used off-road, but not abused like the K5 the guy owns).

All this, for only $2000 :)

Looks like I've got a parts runner and a DD finally

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

My dad's got a 1988 s-10 with a 4.3 vortec and automatic tranny (2-wd) in it. Over 343000 miles and still will still sqawl tires when it hits 2nd gear if you get on it.

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my in the 8 years i've owned my vortec, nothing at all has gone wrong with the engne itself. and i don't think the po had any troubles. i think i can easily get another 100K out of it. several friends and family members have also been driving vortecs for years with no issues at all. not even the big bad manifold leak that so many people say happens by 75K miles. that's the kind of thing i check any engine for periodically, anyway, though. we don't abuse them, but dallas traffic and 100+ degree summers aren't nice to any engine. we're all very satisfied.