Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortech Head Performance gain. How Much?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87superblaze, Nov 29, 2002.

1. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of adding voetch heads to my 87 TBI blazer for more power. The TBI 350 just doesn't seem to have enough power.

I want to know if you feel a big gain in power or if I would be better off tossing together a few performace parts for my TBI 350. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

just my opinion but to be safe i would say you may get about 30 more hp on a bone stock motor. You may do better by porting the heads you have and again i say add an RV gring cam. Just my opinion you can do that cheaper than you can buy Vortec heads

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Vortec heads do add good power but if you have to buy the heads and the new intake for them, old chevy style will not work your better off getting a good set of 202's or aftermarket heads, World Products S/R torquers or Sportsman heads. Vortec heads are smog heads and have rather thin castings. I know several people who have done that swap and have had cracked heads later down the road. I went the way of the World heads and love the power they put out.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I'd call the Vortec heads "smog heads", they don't even have EGR provisions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great bang for the buck, but they are truck heads. They were built for low end torque, not high end, hot engine beatings. (hence the "light duty" castings, and lack of press in exhaust seats in some cases)

Depends on what you want to do, perhaps with TBI it would be worthwhile, but I have yet to see aftermarket heads beat Vortecs in a $ for $ comparison, unfortunately. I'm not saying aftermarket heads are worse, its just that a "complete" set of Vortecs are (every time I've seen) cheaper than any aftermarket heads.

Its going to come down to what you *need*... Vortecs don't have screw in studs, 1.94 valves only for the 350's, need a specific intake, and so on.