Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortech heads on carb engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Mar 22, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

anyone running vortech heads on an early 80's block with a carb? what kind of intake are you using? Any problems with clearance?
    Thanks

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Running the RPM Air Gap with a TD 1" spacer, 750cfm Edelbrock, and a 5" K&N open element Air Cleaner. No problems. Don't know if I realy need the spacer, but I had it on before I switched to the Vortec heads.

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Not sure what you mean by early '80s block, but here goes: '85 Jimmy, rebuilt 350, block according to the casting number is from 1984. I've put Vortec heads on last winter, and really like the improvement in power, and more so in driveability. I've used the GMPP EGR intake, got it from gmpartsdirect.com. The intake is already higher than stock, and I'm also using a 1 inch carb spacer on top of it; carb is the regular Q-Jet. To avoid punching in the hood, I had to cut the air cleaner stud by about one inch. Hope that helps.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've got an intake from GM performance parts, Jegs even sells it, about 250 bucks, prt # 809-12366573 ..
    i know theres at least one more company that sells the vortec to carb intakes, i just cant find any right now.
    only thing i dislike about it is that its a semi-high rise intake, i'd prefer a lower-rise intake for lower end torque.
    but this isnt a bad intake, and its set up exactly for what you need, no spacers or adapters, just bolt right on...

5. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Vortec heads flow great!! Only cost $500 for the pair. Edelbrock makes a perfomer RPM that works great! I have a Holley 650 double pump on my CJ with a 1" spacer and a 4" K&N and there is plenty of room.