Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortech Heads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Mar 16, 2002.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Where can I get a set of these and what is a reasonable price? What has to be changed in order to use a set of these on my 86 350?

2. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

to my understanding you will need the dedicated Vortec intake manifold as the intake surface of the heads sit at a different degree as found on the more common GM heads

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I think all you have to change is the intake manifold. I don't know who has the best prices.

4. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

all you would need to change is the intake manifold. everything bolts right back up. try jeggs and automotive performance warehouse for priceing. not badd.

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of vortec's on my 89; try our sponsor <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/>scoggin dickey</a> they have as good of prices as anywhere.

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Jim Pace has those heads redrilled to except the early style manifold. that way you don't need a new one. Price is about 50 bucks more, but at least you save 200 for the new intake

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Dont bother with the re-drilled heads, just do it right and get the proper intake. When I did my vortecs I got the heads off ebay new with chrome centerbolt valve covers($45 through summit) for $450 shipped to my door. I got my edelbrock performer intake + gaskets from summit for $170+20 and my valve cover gaskets for $9. I got .041" head gaskets and head bolts from the chevy dealer for around $60. Looking back, I could have used thinner head gaskets for more compression and still be OK. I do run 91 octane now just because I like it more, I could probably get by on 89 or even 87 if I didnt mind dieseling when I trun my truck off. All in all it wasnt too difficult to do, the hardest part was adjusting the valves but that isnt anything that cant be done quickly with a little practice. Overall a great thing to do to your truck.

8. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Just go to your closest Chevy or GM dealer and fork over $450. That with tax is a pretty good deal considering no wait or shipping costs. Also get some valve covers. Then go to o'rieleys or advance auto, or whatever chinsy auto parts store is around and pick up the gaskets, and order the edelbrock performer intake for the 96' and up heads on a 350. It runs about $280. Bolt it all together and you're good to go. That's what my buddy did on his 83. Just my $.02

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Get the vortech style intake to fit either your carb,tbi, or tpi. If you try and go the drilled out models they will leak like sivs on a daily driver. You will also need self aligning rockers and centerbolt style valve covers if you don't have them. Another side not... depending on what cam you use and the lift you may need to change valvesprings and/or machine the head.

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You also need self aligning rockers (50 bucks).

John

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna start up my swap this week. Get the intake like every one else said. The intake is not a bolt on operation though. One you start to hook up your carb, you'll notice some problems. The hard lines for your fuel and brakes will need to bent up because the intake is higher. The little vacuum tree in the back of the manifold will also need a little work to get things to reach. The bracket for your throttle, cruise, and TV cable will not work either. I had to chop mine up and weld up something to work. The plugs I used looked longer to, they're GM's platnium plugs. You also have to use these wierd hard plastic and rubber intake gaskets and have to watch how you line your intake up because there's not much room to work with and you'll have an air leak.