Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortech heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 8, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

how much would you guys dish out for a set of used vortech heads from a 98 pciup with about 80,000~ mi on it?

The guy is asking 275, not rebuilt, just pulloffs from when he wrecked his bottom end?

Are these just bolt ons to a brand new 87 TBI longblock? or do I need to do anything?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

well,the heads are like 475 new from scoggin dickey,add cost of reconditioning the heads,and i'd go with a new set.you will need a new intake manifold,because the bolt pattern is totally diferent,and new rocker arms.scoggin dickey( www.sdpc2000.com ) sells complete conversion for tbi,and carb.the carb kit is like $730,i think tbi is like $950.

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

HarryH3 types faster than me! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yikes, that's alot of mulah. Is going vortec even worth it? What are advantages of vortec, power gains? mpg gain?

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I love my vortecs. They make boundless power in the higher RPM ranges, and I get great mileage too. For $475 you can rest assured you're getting one badazz set of heads!

-Dan

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe the claims for Vortec heads are about 20-40HP over what you have now. (those numbers will obviously vary based on your current engine)

Increased compression, increased combustion efficiency, different port designs, and improved casting quality all together to form a relatively good head.

Believe you'll find that pro toplines are a good head also, but I have no experience with them. If it's not them, there is another Vortec "equivalent" out there (cast fast burn style chamber head) that is cheaper than Vortecs. Vortecs have a few "quirks" to them that can be somewhat problematic.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal if you're rebuilding, seems like a lot of cash to muster up to to "just put heads on"

10. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

you have to get a new intake manifold (~$300), self aligning rocker arms, and you have to adapt your passenger side header for EGR, or just get a passenger side manifold off a 96-up truck. Scoggin Dickey's is a great place to get that stuff. they sell alot of crate engine's too. it's a great dealership in Lubbock, TX. a friend of mine's uncle runs that place.

11. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    it's a great dealership in Lubbock, TX. a friend of mine's uncle runs that place.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how about a CK5 discount? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like a good deal if you're rebuilding, seems like a lot of cash to muster up to to "just put heads on"

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just depends where you sit. Bolting these things on is "free" power...doesn't have any penalty (such as decreased MPG) except the actual cost. Not a whole lot of things you can "bolt on" that will almost guarantee you that kind of power increase.

When you add everything together, the swap does end up costing a lot of money that could be hard to justify. Then again, looking back at every single thing we do on these trucks, it's all pretty hard to justify for the cost, no? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As a "for instance" check this out: SDPC testing

Basically 50HP just from bolting on the heads and using the correct base, which would be the same by using any matching Vortec intake available. If you already had a "hotter" cam in the engine, went with higher ratio rockers (or perhaps just roller, who knows) and added headers, the gains on a similar engine are almost 110HP. Only penalty there might be an increase in the peak HP RPM, but that could be solved somewhat by a different cam, I'm sure.

At least in the SDPC example (and any fuel injected application) playing with the chip would have netted even more power.

Like you say, that DOES add up to a bunch of money in the long run. Just don't buy it all at one time and you won't notice. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A friend of mine bought the Vortechs from Scoggin-Dickies for $239 each assembled a couple of months ago. Just happened to be on sale for a couple of weeks at one point so he bought them very quickly.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd run vortechs myself but with my Speed Pro flat tops I'd have too much compression /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd probably go with aftermarkets unless I got a complete set with the rocker arms.

I've had customers come back with intake leaks on Vortec heads so I tell them to go to the dealer and get their gaskets now.

17. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

just to clear things up, "VORTEC" is what we are talking about
    "VORTECH" is a company that makes superchargers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ohhh La-dee-frickin'-da, mr. technical here... [​IMG]

lol... i think the POR and other forums are rubbing off on me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif