Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vortech intake manifold???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Dec 4, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I have been reading several posts lately concerning vortech heads and some people knock them because of the cost to retroft,i.e., a new manifold is needed.
    I know Vortex require a different bolt pattern manifold but I thought I remember reading that it is possible to just grind the bolt holes on a standard manifold to make it fit.
    Is this a viable solution?
    The ports are in the same location, right?

I know that Edelbrock and others make manifolds specifically for vortex and they are not much more than an alum. intake for an older style head. But what If I already have an alum. intake?
    The biggest advantage to vortech heads is $$$, So shouldn't saving some on the intake be an issue?

Thanx

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't believe people still talk about "modifying" the Vortec heads or earlier intakes to fit them. (no flame on you, just that people still say it's possible or even worthwhile)

A) the ports will never line up, unless you have an intake you can take A LOT of meat out of.

B) the bolts aren't even spaced the same distance apart, so you'd have to either drill the intake for NEW bolt holes at each corner, (and vertical at that) or you'd have to drill at least one bolt hole into each corner of the Vortec heads, which are thin castings anyway.

Never mated an earlier intake up to the Vortec heads to see if ANY of the intake bolts lined up, but I know for a fact the corner bolt hole "pairs" are different distances apart between earlier heads, and the Vortecs. (if you think not, try getting an '88 remote coil/EGR solenoid bracket to fit the Vortec intake bolt pattern.)

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A lot of the discussion you may have been reading on the Vortec swap may have been for TBI which can be costly. And not worth it in my opinion. When you can buy better heads for the same price.
    But
    I assume you are carbed so all you need is the heads and a new int. manifold. You are getting off Cheap. Dont try drilling out your old intake it usually doesn't work and not worth the all the hasle when you can get a new bolt on intake for so little.

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, I speak from experience, I just put in a TBI block and heads with a carb on top. I tried the filing the bolt holes thing on my old aluminum intake, guess what, it would suck the chrome off a hitch with all the air it was pulling around the sides. Take it from me, spend the money and just buy a new intake and save the trouble of having to do it again. You can drill the intake to fit, but the likelyhood of it working is slim.

Krennen