Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vortech supercharger or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JerseyBlazer, Apr 8, 2002.

1. JerseyBlazer

JerseyBlazer Registered Member

im building a 4 bolt main 383 for my 89 K5, i allready have the heads, they are iron world sportman 2 for 87& up, i also have a complete tuned port setup out of a 88 5.7 camaro. this setup came with accel throttle body, and aftermarket plenum runners, i also have the ecu and harness. now its time to get the pistons, but i dont know what to get as far as compression because im thinking about getting a vortech supercharger. im not sure how good its going to be in my truck as far as reliability or if its worth the trouble. has anyone have or seen this setup? i just dont want to spend $ for something that may not be worth doing.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

what kind of wheeling do you do? You combo is kinda mismatched... 200 cc heads on a tpi? tpi is gonna be hurting, especially with the supercharger at mid and higher rpm,s (when the supercharger is actually putting out). If go this route I would go with a ATI (they are much better for parts and customer service) and would upgrade to the bigger runners, lower and upper tpi stuff. Lots of guys run those with cent. superchargers and do well.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ask this question over at www.thirdgen.org on their TPI board...........doesn't seem you have a good matchup but not sure since you only say 'aftermarket plenum runners' which I think you are saying you have aftermarket plenum AND aftermarket runners...........either way, unless you have an aftermarket manifold (base) the motor won't flow air over 5K rpm...........not that it needs to, cause the low-to-midrange torque you'll love /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Lots of guys are now adapting LT-1 manifolds to the TPI motors to get the rpm range up..........but again it depends on whether you feel the need to rev it over 5K. My 406 loves the TPI, pulls exceptionally strong up to 5K.

4. JerseyBlazer

JerseyBlazer Registered Member

what heads do you think i can use? if the ones i have are not good i can allways sell them. as far as the intake mods all it has is a throttle body and runners. the upper and lower intake are stock. also will porting the heads i have now be sufficient for a supercharger?

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

ATI procharger all the way. They are a much better system. They are self contained so you dont have to run engine oil through them, you just drain and fill the super charger every 6,000 miles. They are also intersooled so they give you more power, and keep the chances of detonation way down.

6. CaptCrunch

ATI also has top notch customer service when you call them for parts, etc. Vortech is, well... sucky to put it nicely.

7. CaptCrunch

You will need the big valves and chanbers of an aftermarket head if you actually want to run a supercharger. I'd recomend looking at one of the Dart heads with 200cc ports and 2.02/1.60 valves. Even with these heads get them unasssembled because you will need to port them (there is no such thing as a out of the box head. Also no one flows the numbers they say out of the box. Brodix is decently close, but still a bit off). You are gonna wanna work the exhaust side a bunch as this is typically where heads lack. You also are going to want to look into cam selection and many guys I know are running 1.6's opn the exhaust side to 1.5's on the intake side. That is about all I can tell you, but if you have additional questions I can ask my good friend who owns and runs Magnum Superchargers here in MN. He's a real guru.... been in the business over 30 years.

8. CaptCrunch

BTW... I guess overall I'm kinda at a loss... what kind of power 3's do you want for your truck and how much money you have to play with? Seems like a BBC would be money better spent for your truck. Power and torque where you can use it... beefer pats then a sbc.

IMO if you want the ultimate street/play motor with gobs of power and still some decent gas milage look into BlazzinOR's 406 tpi setup. That suckers sounds like a beast! Gobs of torque!