Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vote NOW! What should zakk do with Black Bears transmission woes?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 9, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Situation:

TH350 with no 3rd gear
    4.10's with 39.5 TSL's
    The tranny's last stop will be a shop to be regeared to 5.13's
    I use the truck to crawl

Tranny is 10 months old with a 1 yr warrenty. Obviously I am going to attempt to get the builder to warrenty it, but I am not putting much faith in it. He'll take one look at the rig and claim it was modified beyond its intent.

Manaual tranny is not an opition, as Rita won't be able to drive it after that.

At some point I want a doubler or WMS adapter or Atlass II to help my poor fat pig crawl better. I wish to keep my NP203 to aide in the eventual doubler/WMS swap.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1047226591zakk">

So now what??
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Help Ryan B.rebuilt the existing TH350
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Go to a TH400 and risk the unavilibity of parts
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Swap in a 700R and sling a 203 behind it!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Swap in a 700R/208 combo...Poor Man's Doubler!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Rip it apart and slap some new tranny in and add a doubler! Do it NOW!
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

should be interesting the ideas i get. TIA.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

When you regear, your tranny problems might just go away. Maybe you should try a different rebuilder. I've never blown a TH350 in my Blazer. (knock on wood).

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Unavailability for parts for a th400? what do you mean by that?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I vote for #1, with regearing your axles !!!! Adding a Doubler also would be nice !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif When you rebuild the transmission, go with all mega-duty parts. I personally like TCI for the main guts, with a Fairbanks shift kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

teach the girl how to drive a stick......its MUCH more fun

Brandy

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just so you know, if you go to a 700R4 you will most likely just have the same problems with it as the 350. I am on my 4th 700R4. I really like the tranny, but unless you shell out the $ for a BTO or Jet or something you are just going to be posting the same things about a 700 this time instead of the 350.

The 700 does have advantages though. It does have the 3.06 first gear, and OD. With 5.13 gears that tranny wouldn't be a bad setup in your truck. I am not sure how a 203 would go behing a 700 but I am sure it is possible. If you went with a poorman's doubler I am not sure the 208 would hold up to 39.5's for long. That is unless your rig is pretty light which I kinda doubt. I would say get it warrantied if at all possible (pitch a huge fit in dude's shop about how he doesn't stand behind his work) and be done with it for awhile. It would give you some more time to get $ for a doubler and a BUILT 350 or 400.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

700! With a doubler! YA BABY!
    I seriousy think you should do what you want don't hold off, putting something in to hold you off will just make it worse. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Just it out and be done with it, sure you may miss some events(well the truck would) But when your done you will have what YOU want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Invest in some quality parts and rebuild the TH350.

Can RIta not drive a stick because she can't reach the pedals? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I voted for TH400. It's the only option that combined with the re-gear to 5.13's, you won't have to worry about again. If you do rebuild the TH350, MAYBE it won't happen again. To big of a maybe I would think. And ya don't want to risk Rita's wrath yet again do ya? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think what he means about the unavalability of parts, is the difficulty finding stuff to make the doubler work. A valid concern...but like so many other things, no pain no gain. If ya wait for the TH400 and get the doubler, You'll have a bad-a$$, bullet proof combo that ya won't have to worry about again. With both the 700 and the 350, You'll always be thinkin about the all the "horror" stories. Maybe they would work, but you'd still be thinkin about it.

That said...I can say that I have blown up both a TH350 and TH400. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The TH350 lasted about 3 weeks behind the big block...did pretty much the same as Zakk's is doing now. The TH400 I broke the case just in front of the adapter. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif All this happened within about a month and a half. I got tired of messin with auto's so now I've got the 465/203. Perfect setup for futre doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions... GO MANUAL!

I was almost fed up with my auto when i had to take it out last time.. I was just about at the point to get a 465/205 and swap it in, but i decided against it.
    My main benefit with running auto's are that i know how to take em apart and fix them when something goes wrong, for the most part. It will cost me like 1/4 of what anyone else wants to do it. I can f' up 3 trannys before i get it right and still come out ahead of the game. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol!
    It's way more worth it to me, to know each component and system in my blazer, rather than pay anyone to fix something for me. I'd rather learn from my mistakes and be that much more knowledgable than get ripped off and have no idea what was wrong or how to fix it.

I've been very frusterated with my "slushboxes" before, but in the long run i'm glad i took it upon myself to learn how to fix em.
    I've been through the TH350 in my blazer 2 times, and the TH400 in my camaro 3 times.
    My car is great with the full manual valve body, and i'm very satisfied with my blazer's TH350 and the coffee spilling shifts now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Now i got it all figured out, i'm happy with my autos.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I say buid the TH350 with HD parts, that's what I'm doing with my truggy due to problems with finding a 203 and adapter for a TH400.

Ryan, did you get the full manual? The ones for TH400s that I've seen cost a bundle...

12. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

With 5.13, get a th400.
    Out of curiosity, was the 350 installed by you or the shop?
    If by the shop, Did the blazer have the 40's on it then?
    If so , the guy has no reason not to warranty his work!
    If he does warranty it, I'd sell the rebuilt 350 and go th400.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

all the mechanical work has been done by me and my friends. It was a bolt in and before I bought it, they said i still get the warrenty for 1 yr if i install it myself.

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions... GO MANUAL!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, Just a disclaimer..I wasn't recomending he go manual..Just tellin my stories. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryan, did you get the full manual? The ones for TH400s that I've seen cost a bundle...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep I got the reverse shifting full manual valve body from TCI about $160 I believe.
    I love it for my camaro and think it was worth it compared to a b&amp;m stage 2 or 3 that i had for a while..
    It's reverse shifting which was weird the first couple times driving it, but now it feels more natural, because you use the G's of the car when it pushes you back in the seat and you PULL for the next gear rather than lean forewards and PUSH. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    However it doesn't have engine braking in 1st or 2nd gear. You leave the band and servo completely out of the TH400 when you rebuild it.
    I wouldn't reccomend the TCI manual valve body for off road purposes though because it only has engine braking in 3rd.
    I'd go with the Art Carr valve body i've read is the way to go for off road manual valve bodies. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Zakk, I responded also in your other post but, If you decide to go with the doubler, I have an NP205 that is set up for the SM465. The guy who actually owns it will sell it for $200-$250 if you want to machine the case for the 32 spline input and rebuild it. I also have a line on a cheap TH400. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get a firm price and status on it.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you got a phone number i can give you a call and discuss.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

PM'ed you