Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vouchers passed 5-4 and I'm not happy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jun 28, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Vouchers passed 5-4 and I\'m not happy

Why don't the low income fawks get off their ass and better their lives instead of mooching if they want to send their kids to a private school!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Vouchers passed 5-4 and I\'m not happy

It goes a little deeper then that though... we've been discussing this for weeks at work. And it's a good thing for low income areas who have awful schools. Not sure they went about it the right way... what they should have done is taken that money to improve existing public schools... but I hear where the parents are coming from. Some schools simply suck and they want their kids to have a better chance....

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So, move /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In some city's your kids are bussed to schools in different parts of town so all public schools are equeal. They had a problem with the ones in the low income part of town, but as soon as the kids from the $100,000.00 on up homes part of town got bussed in, everything improved with a quickness !!!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif That's what they did in Omaha, Ne about 10 years ago. Seems to work for them. I just don't like it that you can't pick what school your kid will be going too. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Hate to see some nice rich snob's child going to school in the middle of the ghetto. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Geez...I bet they didn't realize it was that EASY.

6. ChevyCaGal

Some of the families I work with have 2 kids and they make $650 a month... rent on average here is about $800 for a small place in da ghetto... so it's hard to move. I think the idea of the vouchers is poorly executed but the idea is a good one as far as allowing kids to better their education. Like I said they need to put money into the public schools and make them better then we wouldn't have an issue like this to begin with...

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I agree with you Steph. Another point is that, it's the kids that are benefitting. It's not their fault they're in the low income bracket. Low income kids need the most help so they don't continue the cycle. They already have enough to contend with.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Before I go off, this voucher is for all income groups, right?

Now, let me riddle you this......
    If I want to send my kid to a private school, why then should my tax dollars go to the public school system?

9. ChevyCaGal

Same reason your taxes go to pay for other things you may not like... because once you pay into the system we have no honest say.... they (politicians) might say we do and they might let us think it but we don't... I'm sure there's dozens of things you are paying for you probably wouldn't like if you knew about it...

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where I live, Pensacola(Escambia County), FL, we we're the geauni pig for the "Voucher" system with Jeb Bush at the helm. It has been more of a catalyst for the "F" schools to get their act together than anything else. So far in I believe the 3 years of this being instated, many private "charter" schools have started up using soley voucher students to fund their schools. Now about half of the charter schools are under investigation by the school board for various violations.
    It has had good points, mainly to point a finger at the crap schools and set them on the right path. In the County, only 1 of 5 schools that were an F school last year repeated this year.
    Bad points- it just frickin weird.

I went to private school from 6-12 with a single working mom with 4 kids. I don't agree that she should have had to pay taxes for everyone else's kids and still fork out tuition for her kids, especially with the voucher program in effect now. It kind of rubs it in the parents face that is sacrificing to provide what they deem is better for their child.

I don't see these people as Mooching either. If you were in their shoes, I think you would choose the same for your child.

So far its a toss up to me whether vouchers will prove to be any good at all.