Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VSS for TPI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nonesuch, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am about to install my TPI and I need to know what to do about the VSS. My K5 used to have a 700r4. it now has a th350. I am wondering what I can do to get the VSS functional with the TPI without an aftermarket VSS transducer. I might not have to do anything except wire it up but im not sure. Any help is appreciated!
    Justin

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Speed Density or MAF? MAF you can use the existing VSS...

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html>http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html</a>

<font color=blue>Heres some VSS's from Jags That Run

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

MAF system. Also am looking into buying an aftermarket wiring harness for the system. $395 is the best price i have found so far. anyone else have an idea. I tried painless but they dont make a harness for the '85 tpi systems. just my luck that that is the year i have.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

For the record, you do NOT need the VSS.........ah, never mind. That became a fanatical argument last time. Tho the facts are that you don't need it, and you can have that programmed out in the chip.

Try the following links for that harness and/or conversion module for the VSS if you want to keep it. I'm surprised Painless doesn't have a harness for your MAF system.

www.jagsthatrun.com
    www.turbocity.com

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i am aware that the VSS is not needed but i would like to keep it. i will probably try to run without first and see how it acts. painless makes a harness for 86 an up MAF's but not the 85 due to it not being interchangable. I wish i would have known some of the issues with the 85 system before i bought it. just goes to show that you can never research anything too much.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Nonesuch,

Here's the deal. I too have a TPI 350 and a TH350 in my 72 blazer. I have a Speed Density system, and initally I did not use the VSS. When I swapped the motor back into my new blazer, I added the VSS, and what a diffrence. I should have used it in the original swap.

I live in Arizona, and we have a speciality in town Arizona TPI, the owners name is ED. On one of my trips to his shop, I purchased a VSS, for the TH350, it was not too expensive, about $60.00. There are two wires that go to the VSS. You dont need a new harness, just to add two wires to the existing ECM. Find an old pinnout harness and steal two harness pins and just add them to the harness that plugs into the ECM. You will have to look at a wiring diagram, and it will tell you which ones to add to. You must make sure that the Memcal is programmed for the VSS though. If you don't have a old harness laying around. Drop me a PM and I will send you a couple. I have an old harness just for this reason. If you are intresed in the VSS from Arizona TPI here is the number. (480) 921-2500. Ed is a great guy and will lend help to most questions.

I can attest to the diffence that the VSS made with my Blazer. Now is gets better mileage, and shifts much better than without.

I have done now 3 TPI swaps so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line. Trust me, I there is a problem or sympton associated with a TPI in a blazer, I have experienced it.

Good Luck

Rob

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by therobzilla on 12/01/01 08:13 PM.</FONT></P>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad to hear you want to keep it. Good choice. Its not needed, only needed to run correctly. See the above reply. Argument was never made that you NEED VSS to run TPI. Its that it was included because GM deemed it necessary. (and according to the above post, made a large difference)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?