Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VSS in a TBI swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Jun 28, 2002.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I've swapped in a TBI engine in my Blazer and got a painless wiring kit to hook it all up. It states that for the engine to run efficiently I need to hook up a VSS. The truck has a 78' SM465 and a NP205, which to say it doesn't have a hook up for the sensor.
    Any companies out there that sell a unit that you can hook up the speedo and the VSS into the same port. I have also heard that a company makes a new speedometer that you are able to hook up the VSS into it.
    Anyone have any idea's???
    Any info??

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.jagsthatrun.com is one source, I got mine from them - $70.
    www.howell-efi.com also has them...........

MIne is mounted off my cruise control unit under the hood, very simple install on mine, took all of 5 minutes for the mechanical part and 20 minutes for the wiring install. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have used a VSS adapter that the speedo cable screws into. We put it in line at the cruise control unit in a 77 Silverado Suburban. The wires then run to the Computer. They are sold by Jags That Run, and a couple of other places, we bought our local in Phoenix from Arizona TPI.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock trucks '81 or '82 up have a VSS "port" on them, but you'd have to adapt that to the later cluster. I would be surprised if an '82 speedo head didn't bolt to the earlier gauges. Cost probably $20 at a wrecking yard for the buffer and gauge

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Buy a Gauge Cluster or just the speedo gauge and VSS buffer from an 87-89 TBI equipped K5, Suburban or 2+2 and install it into your existing cluster. This should work and cost under $20.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The fonts are wrong, and some of them will have a trip odometer, so the face from the old one wouldn't fit if you wanted the "stock" look. You could do the whole cluster at the same time of course I guess.

VSS was the same setup on the trucks (and cars) until the electric speedo's, which is '89 or a year or two later. (supposedly the elctric cluster I have is from an '89 Blazer)

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Use the whole gauge!! It is easy! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif